1939-era Polish cavalry

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gebhk

Re: 1939-era Polish cavalry

Post by gebhk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:31 am

Just seen the artwork for the dismounted FtF cavalry. Has anyone seen them in the flesh? If the artwork is an accurate reflection of the content, there will be a lot of really useful figures for converting into ammo carriers etc. If they are made from hard plastic that would be just heavenly!

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:39 am

gebhk wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:31 am
Just seen the artwork for the dismounted FtF cavalry. Has anyone seen them in the flesh? If the artwork is an accurate reflection of the content, there will be a lot of really useful figures for converting into ammo carriers etc. If they are made from hard plastic that would be just heavenly!
Box art is indeed up on the Hannants website, though strangely not on FtF’s own pages. Looks rather nice! So, we get only 15 men per box, far less than in the previous soft-plastic offerings, more in line with the newer artillery crew packs, which strongly suggests hard plastic.

Met someone recently who had painted up a few of the (pre-release) uhlan figures and says he was very pleased with the results.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Returning to an earlier theme, albeit not directly related to Polish Cavalry, apparently HAT are in the process of producing a 75mm limber and team (I assume this is for the French Schneider mle 1897). If it's half decent, this would solve most of my artillery problems, as I would be reasonably happy to use the same teams for the wz 02/26 and 100mm howitzers. I can hear the howls of anguish from my more puritanical horseflesh expert friends, but in this scale (and with my level of ignorance) I am happy with the approximation.

Apparently a German 6-horse team is also in the works.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:05 am

OK, just seen inbox of the FtF dismounted uhlans (what makes them lancers as opposed to light horse or mounted rifles is beyond me :? ). They are hard plastic which is great and let's hope they keep this up in future.

On the debit side the box art bears little resemblance to the content and the figures appear to be all shooting, hurling grenades or 'at port', making them useless for easy conversion into ammo carriers and equipment operators (which make up a significant chunk of my 'armies'). As a wargamer, I find 'shooting' figures advancing down the road shooting and hurling grenades at the hedge a tad silly. Whereas advancing figures of the type on the box art but not inside the box I find the most useful as they do not look out of placing moving in the rear areas as well as at the sharp end. Also annoying separate legs on some figures and separate heads on all of them. This is a problem made worse by the lack of any 'pegging' at the joins.

I'll buy maybe one set to support the company but that's about it. Perhaps the 'command set' might offer something more useful.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Don’t yet have the FtF uhlan figures but from the photos I’ve seen they look singularly unappealing. ;)

The Adrian helmets are almost unrecognisable and far too small, and have horrible mould lines down the sides. As you say the poses are poorly chosen and also, to my eye, poorly executed. Anatomically the figures just don’t look right: heads and hands both too small.

Now, would it be possible to swap heads with some French WWI or WW2 figures? Pegasus and Caesar both do WW2 French and there’s also a WW1 French cavalry pack (by HaT?) which doesn’t look bad. Indeed they are almost good enough to use as Poles, as is.

I was hoping to build an entire platoon of Polish cavalry, or even a double platoon considering they are so weak in numbers, but unless the command pack (due week 1 or 2 of May) and the mounted uhlan figures (due September) are an improvement I will probably follow suit and just build a single section as a support option.

Also need a few ammo bearers for my Scibor Polish cav HMG, which is beautiful but comes with only three figures. Plan to use it as a dismounted Taczanka HMG.
Last edited by Contrarius on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm

gebhk wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 pm
Returning to an earlier theme, albeit not directly related to Polish Cavalry, apparently HAT are in the process of producing a 75mm limber and team (I assume this is for the French Schneider mle 1897). If it's half decent, this would solve most of my artillery problems, as I would be reasonably happy to use the same teams for the wz 02/26 and 100mm howitzers. I can hear the howls of anguish from my more puritanical horseflesh expert friends, but in this scale (and with my level of ignorance) I am happy with the approximation.

Apparently a German 6-horse team is also in the works.
Very interesting to hear about the planned HaT 75mm French limber and team. Is it mentioned on the HaT website? The FtF Schneider has been heavily panned by reviewers: it’s not only underscale but also has a gun shield of the wrong shape. But, hey ho, at 1/72 scale perhaps it doesn’t matter :roll:

FtF plan to produce a wz 02/26 or “Prawoslawny” (Orthodox) as they were often termed, as well as a separate box of crew for them wearing cavalry uniforms. Like you, I will skip the crew and just use my standard crew figures.

There’s already a very nice German 6-horse team available from Revell accompanying their 10,5cm field gun. Probably out of production at present, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am

Having the excellent AlBy guns aplenty, I did't feel the need to build any of the FtF ones, although I got one box. They do seem out of kilter compared to the AlBy and the real thing. Didn't go to waste though, because I used the recoil spade assemblies to convert two HAT Putilov's into Prawoslawne. Sooner or later the 'need' will arise to build one or two 75's that have been blown up, run over by a tank, etc so the rest will not go to waste either ......... Talking of which, I have just given up on the ruddy awful old Airfix Ju88 and rather than lobbing it out of the window in a fit of pique, it is being remodelled as a downed aircraft. That way all the gaps and misfits can be covered up with suitable clods of earth and grass. No doubt a game will arise involving escaping pilots........ But I digress!

The info on the HAT release came from the Plastic Soldier Review website. According to them, sculpting is near completion for the 75mm gun 6-horse team with limber (set 8306) and under way for the German equivalent - though whether it is WW1 or WW2 it does not say.

I do have a Revell German Artillery set - unfortunately I used the team to propel the ex-Austrian field kitchen of my ON battalion and foolishly only bought one set back in the day. Alas it is long OOP. Don't know why, because it is one of Revell's best, absolutely superb and rightly very popular for itself and because of its big wargaming niche. Consequently very difficult to get hold of and usually only at silly prices. It should have been a good money-maker for Revell so is there any way of encouraging them to re-release it?
Last edited by gebhk on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am

Re ammo carriers for cavalry MMG. AFAIK there is nothing specifically made for this role. There are some lying Miltra (prone rather than telling untruths) and kneeling FAA riflemen holding rather than firing their rifles, who would make perfectly acceptable and realistic (if not exciting) ammo carriers if you adorn their bases judiciously with ammo boxes (any German ones will do at this scale - the only difference was in the cross-section of the carrying handles). You could do some surgery on the kneeling ammunition man in the SHQ Polish Artillery Crew set (he would need a shell-ectomy and the addition of a rifle plus two amo boxes ). The Westerplatte Poles Set 3 (Under Fire Miniatures) provides useful alternatives if you carry out a head swap and put the usual ammo boxes on the figure bases. If you are a purist you may want to add the Y braces but then not everyone (and especially heavy weapon's crews) wore them into combat anyway.

Alternatively you could wait till the Under Fire Miniatures Westerplatte Poles MMG team set is issued (if it hasn't been already) which contains an ammo carrier kneeling holding two boxes of ammo. Same conversion issues (ie head and braces) plus the ammo pouches are of the Austrian type and should be converted to German-style ones (again for the purists, I've never bothered).

Incidentally, historically, a taczanka MMG crew had only 5 crew - ie only 2 ammo numbers. In fact the infantry and cavalry pack horse MMG teams of 6 also had only two ammo numbers. The 6th chap was the team leader's assistant and, as well as one ammo box, carried the water canister (I must get someone to model this for me - albeit it is very similar to an ammo box). He also carried the rubber tube for connecting the water canister to the cooling jacket tucked into his belt, which makes for a fun kitbash.

Also incidentally, the wz 30 in the Scibor cavalry set is on the infantry pattern tripod. A cavalry tripod-mounted wz 30 is in the Fantassin Polish Infantry set. A straightforward swap provides both sets with the right MMG :mrgreen:

I will shut up now.

Bestest
K

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am

The next FtF offering is going to be a cavalry A/T gun. This time the gun will, unlike the infantry version, at least have someone aiming and firing it although the breach will still be opening and closing by itself (sigh :roll:).

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:24 am

gebhk wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am
The next FtF offering is going to be a cavalry A/T gun. This time the gun will, unlike the infantry version, at least have someone aiming and firing it although the breach will still be opening and closing by itself (sigh :roll:).
It looks like one gun per pack, the same model as in the earlier Bofors AT gun pack, plus between three and five rather unappealing crew.

I’ve read that Caesar Miniatures did the earlier fairly attractive soft plastic figures for FtF, but they switched over to another manufacturer for the recent spate of hard plastic atrocities. Allegedly, the punters prefer the conversion possibilities of hard plastic.

I’m waiting for the mounted cavalry figures in September. Apparently the poses will be fairly sedate and sober, not your swashbuckling nutters charging at panzers... :D