Interrupt with a Senior Leader

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

chris cornwell

Re: Interrupt with a Senior Leader

Post by chris cornwell »

My common sense interpretation of Rich’s missive would be “unit” = team, section, AFV, whatever to perform one specific action, be it move or fire. For example, not to activate a leader, and use his initiatives to perform multiple actions. Simple really.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Being able to move, close assault or fire on an interrupt but not throw grenades does not make any sense at all to me.
Sorry but its nonsense.

What about German sections?

Can they not use the handgranaten rule if they close assault on an interrupt?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:15 am
Being able to move, close assault or fire on an interrupt but not throw grenades does not make any sense at all to me.
Sorry but its nonsense.

What about German sections?

Can they not use the handgranaten rule if they close assault on an interrupt?
No they can't because you need a Leader to activate that National Characteristic.
Basically if you need to assault by seizing the initiative during the enemy phase using "Interrupt" then your options are more limited and the effectiveness potentially reduced, but it's no different than having the squad assault on a Comand Roll of '2'. Better to assault in your own phase using your Leaders to get the most from the attack.

Allowing Leaders to activate using "Interrupt" would cascade activations way too much.

John

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

Sorry for causing a bit of confusion . :oops:
I should have posted the question I asked. I have added the question to may previous post and here it is as well.

Truscott Trotter

Ok so thats were the grenade issue came from.
no one suggested the SL use his CI on non attached units but Rich makes it clear no grenades.
However reading accounts of Stalingrad and Arnhem, premptive throwing of grenades before thw enemy assaulted you was SOP.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Yes, and that's what you did during your phase. Remember, phases represent a very short period of time. Hucking a couple of grenades into a formation that's getting dangerously close to you in the phase before they actually assault you models this sort of "prophylactic grenade use" very well to my thinking.

Truscott Trotter

Well you could apply the exact same logic to shooting or moving so why have an interrupt rule at all?

I understand it from a RAW interpretation but I find it hard ro accept from a play the period POV

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

TT, the issue arises because the rules regulate the use of grenades by requiring the Leader to spend a CI. If it was important to you to allow grenades to be thrown in the circumstances you describe then the new rules in the FAQ on the number of grenades available would provide an alternative limit.

John

Truscott Trotter

Yup I agree
I consider that spending a CoC dice represents an extra use of initiative.
I don't think it is a game breaker as in the game grenades are not particularly effective but in real life they were a common way for defenders to break up an attack in the open with frag grenades as well as assisting to launch attacks against buildings or trenches with concussion grenades.

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG »

What I find interesting about this "Ruling" is that I never thought that the Leaders actually threw the grenades. Yes they activated the action. But it was the guy at the pointy end who had to lob the thing out there.

So I ask, from where are people measuring the range for throwing a grenade? Sometimes the SL will be 9" behind his troops. We would be crazy to measure it from there. A case of the SL "fragging" his own men. If we are measuring it from the men should we not say the men are throwing it?

I am happy with the limit for Grenades being tied to the CI, happy for it to be a leader activation. BUT … never thought they threw it. If they are NOT trowing it, why can not a Team throw grenades as part of an Interrupt? Normally, not an issue has firing has more dice and not a game changer. But it is interesting how different views spring up.
There's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore. ... Neil Armstrong