Interrupt with a Senior Leader

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Gaff-Oz

Re: Interrupt with a Senior Leader

Post by Gaff-Oz »

If an interrupt represents a moment of tactical insight into a situation creating an advantage, logically why wouldn't a Leader be able to use that advantage to throw a smoke grenade? Not sure about two though.
Gaff

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

A lot of question have popped up in regards to the thread.

1.Can a Chain of command dice be used to activate a Leader to conduct a INTERRUPT?
2. Does a Leader qualify as a 1 man Team?
3. Are Leaders able to throw grenades?
4. Are only non-leader troops allowed to throw grenades on the command activation by a Leader?
5. Are you limited to firing and moving when conducting a INTERRUPT? can a grenade or other action be performed?
6. If you can throw grenades , how many can you throw during a INTERRUPT?
7.If it allowed to activate a leader to perform a INTERRUPT, can he then activate a team he is attached to, to throw a grenade? (my thoughts are no on this one as you are activate a chain of command dice to activating a leader who activates something else, third party stuff)

:?:

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Applying some common... and reading the manual...

1.Can a Chain of command dice be used to activate a Leader to conduct a INTERRUPT?
No. It's a team or section Para 5.1.1

2. Does a Leader qualify as a 1 man Team?
No, a leader is not a team... Page 8 / 10

3. Are Leaders able to throw grenades?
Para 9.2: A man OR A LEADER... so yes (RTFM)

4. Are only non-leader troops allowed to throw grenades on the command activation by a Leader?
Para 9.2 See above

5. Are you limited to firing and moving when conducting a INTERRUPT? can a grenade or other action be performed?
Para 5.1.1 Firing or moving.

6. If you can throw grenades , how many can you throw during a INTERRUPT?
Para 9.2 You cannot throw grenades as they need a leader CI

7.If it allowed to activate a leader to perform a INTERRUPT, can he then activate a team he is attached to, to throw a grenade? (my thoughts are no on this one as you are activate a chain of command dice to activating a leader who activates something else, third party stuff)
No you cannot activate a leader Para 5.1.1

Hope that helps... ;) It's all quite clear in the book...

As for leaders in barrages Para 10.3.1 if a leader was unattached then he could not be hit by a barrage but would still be pinned.

Gaff-Oz

Post by Gaff-Oz »

Hi JB,
It mentions in the rules that if something is unclear you should reference the real world. If that's the case why shouldn't you be able to activate a Leader with an interupt in the same way as a team? Why couldn't a leader throw a grenade? Surely plenty of sergeants and lieutenants throw grenades during WWII. Why couldn't he order a subordinate to do so? In the game described in the OP I can't see why a Leader watching a squad getting hammered couldn't have the presence of mind to throw smoke to cover their withdrawal.

Gaff-Oz

Post by Gaff-Oz »

My post above must have been posted at the same time as Rich's ruling.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Just reading about Battle of Comines (Dunkirk retreat to) today one Lt got a medal for running up to a house and chucking 2 grenades in....then getting shot 😁

Seret

Post by Seret »

Yeah, common sense would suggest leaders can throw grenades, and as Rich H points out the rule book says they can too!

Try telling your average corporal or sergeant the stripes on his arm prevent him from chucking grenades...

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

I'm pretty sure the Lt would have had to use a CI to ask one of his men for the grenade before hand though, officers don't tend to carry much. So he clearly won the medal in his own phase and not on an interrupt.

;)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Gaff-Oz wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:34 am
My post above must have been posted at the same time as Rich's ruling.
Gaff, while I completely agree with Rich H's comments, for future reference he isn't the rules author Rich Clarke so it isn't a "ruling" as such, just a sound explanation of what the rules say.
:)
John

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Indeed.

I am only a Rich; I am not the Rich