How do you use an AT-Rifle (Boys/Pzb)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

pman

How do you use an AT-Rifle (Boys/Pzb)

Post by pman »

I dont se it in any arsenal list.

Do you use it as a bolt action rifle with two range bands (under and over 18") or what ??

regards

Peter

andysyk

Re: How do you use an AT-Rifle (Boys/Pzb)

Post by andysyk »

Page 99 Soviet Arsenal List
No range bands.
I'm sure a rules guru will be along soon to confirm ;)

Seret

Post by Seret »

The lists in the main rule book are late war, so won't include the Boys or PzB 39. You'll want to look at early war lists for those (for example: British and German).

There are no range bands for AT rifles, just a straight 2d6 to hit with the usual modifiers. One advantage ATRs did have over later weapons was their range. Against infantry they have 1d6, but tbh it's not totally clear in the rules what score they'd be hitting on. I can't imagine it comes up much.

Munin

Post by Munin »

I'd be tempted to allow ATRs to treat the entire table as Close Range when firing at infantry. If 12" = 40 yards, you're talking an engagement distance of ~200 yards max on most tables. Even over open sights, an ATR's high velocity and relatively flat trajectory is going to make engaging a human-sized target at that distance a pretty "fish in a barrel" situation.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

The Commandos used Boys ATR against gun sheilds on guns in emplacements in 1944

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

At Rifles show up in quite a few German Divisions until the end of the war. In some cases they were withdrawn and then reissued, showing on returns alongside Fausts and Schrecks.

PatG

Post by PatG »

andysyk wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:53 am
At Rifles show up in quite a few German Divisions until the end of the war. In some cases they were withdrawn and then reissued, showing on returns alongside Fausts and Schrecks.
Were they ATRs or the ones cut down to make rifle grenade launchers?

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

They show up mainly in Infantry or Recce units. Roughly 1 per Platoon it doesnt usually designate other than Light AT Rifles. Although the cut down Granatbüchse Modell 39 (GrB 39) did outrange the original Fausts. By that stage of the war there were plenty of RG attachments for rifles about with the same range.
So I don't know.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Good point Pat, like this one in Italy '44:

Strictly speaking they were designated Granatbüchse 39 (GrB 39) instead of PzB 39. I'm not sure what proportion of the rifles got the conversion though? This source suggests "most" of them.

They seem to have just been treated as an upgraded AT rifle, using HEAT rifle grenades against tanks. Some helpful folks have already done stats for CoC here, although I'd be inclined to change the range bands as it used a much larger propelling cartridge.

jdg

Post by jdg »

Andy, could the ATRs that you are seeing in the TO&E are the panzerbusche 41 28mm gun? I've read that they were issued to Recce Battalions.

jdg