Advance Rules for Targeting and Buildings - page 70

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

JOHN BOND 001

Advance Rules for Targeting and Buildings - page 70

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

I am asking the following questions as we are about to embark on Operation Martlet campaign and thinking about applying the advance rules to both infantry and especially vehicles.

1. Does anyone use the advance rules for targeting troops in buildings?

2. Does anyone use the advance rules for vehicles targeting troops in buildings?

3, Or are they any house rules that modify the vehicles spotting troops in building you use?

thanks in advance John

Seret

Re: Advance Rules for Targeting and Buildings - page 70

Post by Seret »

I think of all the advanced rules that's the one most commonly used. It's a big change but really improves the game, there's not really any reason not to use it IMO. The others I'm not so bothered about.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

We have a blanket house rule - you are either at an opening or not.

1.) If you are not you cannot be seen until someone is at the other side of the opening and you cannot fire out (we call this the "I am under the table with the maid" rule :D )

2.) If you are at the opening whether you are firing or not you can be seen and targeted by anyone with LOS to the opening.

We do not allow vehicles to shoot at parts of buildings on the off chance there might be someone there - whilst realistic it does not make for a good game as we normally play with only 10% or less of the number of buildings that might be in a village or small town

PatG

Post by PatG »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 am
We do not allow vehicles to shoot at parts of buildings on the off chance there might be someone there - whilst realistic it does not make for a good game as we normally play with only 10% or less of the number of buildings that might be in a village or small town
A very, very good point.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 am
we normally play with only 10% or less of the number of buildings that might be in a village or small town
Yeah, but how often are you fighting your way across the town square? With the average CoC table only being about 200x300m then 3-4 buildings can be a pretty realistic amount for a semi-rural area or the outskirts of a town. From what I've seen the maps in the PSCs match up pretty well with the aerial photos and period maps.

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron »

We use the advanced rules for spotting troops in buildings without any house rule mods. Having just completed the Kampfgruppe Von Luck mini campaign I can say that it would have made for a very boring campaign had I been able to target any building regardless of knowing if it was enemy occupied or not - especially when using something like the Lorraine Schlepper with its 13 HE firepower. Having to confirm the building is actually occupied by the enemy before firing makes the game a little more challenging. In the case of the KG Von Luck campaign it was enticing the enemy to reveal himself that was the challenge or - as in one game - exposing my SL to potential sniper fire as he moved up to the Lorraine Schlepper to direct its fire at a particular building.

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

Last night had a see saw nail biting battle between German Grenadier and US Ranges and for the first time used the Advanced rules for targeting buildings . We both came to the conclusion that it makes for better game play using these rules. :)

One question:
if a sniper and a section of infantry are located in the same building using the Advance rules , If the sniper is spotted and HE rounds are poured into the building I presume that the Sniper and the section would suffer losses from any successful hits.
its this correct?

Seret

Post by Seret »

Yep. Everybody in the building has the wear the HE.