Shermans and a Bazillion support points

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

poiter50

Shermans and a Bazillion support points

Post by poiter50 »

Having watched some recent PSC AARs, I have seen 3 Shermans used as support which allows for them to be commanded by a SL. Given that Shermans in NWE were accompanied by a Firefly for its AT capability, can this be taken as one of the "Shermans" included in the 3? Also could Cromwells be accompanied by a Firefly on the same basis?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Shermans and a Bazillion support points

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Depends what list you are using Pete
If you are playing Big CoC sure just follow the rules for calculating a tank Troop.
If it is a normal (campaign) game then as long as you have enough points and the Firefly is on the list I would let you use it as part of the troops and be controlled by the SL (mind you you now only have 3 CI for 4 tanks!) :P

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

I was thinking of the (main rule book) where if three tanks are taken, one is commanded by a SL. 4 tanks becomes an overwhelming force.

Truscott Trotter

How do you get 32 points in a 'normal, game?
I calculate 17 is about the absolute max.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

No, TT, a PSC games as per Travis Hiett's AARs. I saw the Brits use 3 Shermans in at least one game. 19 points for 2 + 1 Firefly.

Truscott Trotter

Yup in PSC you can get 3 tanks - maybe not 4, I used 3 Shermans in 29 Lets Go in an effort to kill a FOO- jolly good fun till the panzerfausts ruined the party :lol:

So if Fireflys are on the list and they were historically in that formation then go for it.

I want one to go with my 3 Cromwells but they are decaled for 6th AARR and they did not have Fireflys :cry:
But most people I play won't know or care so Fireflys here I come :D

Seret

Post by Seret »

Strictly speaking the rules say that if you take three identical tanks you get a free SL. However, that's clearly supposed to be the troop commander, so in the unusual situation where you've got a mixed troop then yeah you should be able to get your SL if you take two 75mm and one 17pdr Sherman. Only the worst kind of rules lawyer would argue otherwise.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Although if I was going to be a pain I'd point out that Shermans (M4s) and Fireflies (M10Cs) were never mixed in the same troop, since they weren't even crewed by men from the same regiment...

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

A Firefly is not a M10C, that is an Achilles.

Seret

Post by Seret »

poiter50 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 am
A Firefly is not a M10C, that is an Achilles.
*gets up on soap box*

According to us wargamers with our little plastic toys 70 years hence, yes. But according to the men who fought the war, no.

"Achilles" was a name given by the government technocrats to all versions of the M10 TD, both those with the 17pdr gun and the earlier 3in gun. However, troops at the front never used the name. You would have got a blank stare from an M10 crew if you'd referred to an Achilles. The later M10s with the 17pdr were often called "Fireflies", as this was a common name given to any vehicle with a 17pdr gun. However, if you hear a period source refer to a "Firelfy" they'll almost always be talking about a 17pdr M10, not a Sherman. 17pdr Shermans were very occasionally called "fireflies", but they were also called "Mayflies".

It's probably worth pointing out that the crews of neither vehicle used the name. "Firefly" seems to have been an infantry nickname for the 17pdr M10, while the crews themselves called them M10s or TDs. Likewise 17pdr Sherman crews just called them 17pdr Shermans, or Ic/Vcs depending on which type they were.