Early war Gebirgsjager platoon

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Kristensen

Early war Gebirgsjager platoon

Post by Kristensen »

Hello,

Anybody know how a Gebirgsjager platoon would look like in a early war setting (1940-41) ?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Early war Gebirgsjager platoon

Post by Truscott Trotter »

According to https://www.wwiidaybyday.com/
in K.St.N.142 (1.11.1941) they seemed to have a lot of horses?

Seret

Post by Seret »

142 is an infantry gun unit, TT. For the rifle companies you want 132d.

It looks like 4 squads each with:
Gun team: MG34 with 3 crew
Rifle team: 6 men with rifles
Junior leader with SMG

2x senior leader. It says the officer has an SMG and his 2ic just a pistol, but I wonder how many of these NCOs would actually have carried a rifle?
Lt mortar team: 5cm mortar and 3 crew.

If you went for the above your force rating would be +3, and you could use the support lists for the 1941 infantry with all the vehicles stripped out.

Truscott Trotter

Thanks for that I couldn't see the plain infantry one for some reason.
Still got lots of horses tho :D

NTM

Post by NTM »

In 1940 they had a 3 squad platoon by the look of it

http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/4 ... geb_1.html

Seret

Post by Seret »

Looks that way. Then they switched to the same 4-squad platoon as the regular infantry by mid-41.

jdg

Post by jdg »

Even thought the TO&E changed to 4 squads it's doubt full that many units actually achieved that before the attack on the Soviet Union after which due to casualties of they quickly reverted back to the three squad platoon.

Truscott Trotter

Interesting aside just finished reading Jary's 18 Platoon where he thought 36 men was too much to control on the offence and preferred 3x7 men sections.

I know in game terms I like 4 or 5 sections but I do seem to end up with 3 pretty quickly, it's almost as if you have to throw some away or maybe you can ot get them all in cover.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Was the panzerbuchse 38/39 anti-tank rifle used by the gbirgsjaegers in 1940-41. On one hand, I can see HQ noting that in theory the mountain troops would not be operating in tank country. On the other hand, in real--life the gebirgsjaegers fought in flat country so one might have been useful.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

The pistol-toting 2ic seems defined as leading the 'non-com' or 'static' elements of the platoon; the horses, carts and the lt mortar team; so a pistol as a pdw is all he needs in theory. I would indeed think he would acquire a MPi pretty damn quick in reality though all the same.

6-7 men is pretty much the limit any one man can usefully command according to a number of studies, with an assistant in charge of a seperate 'gun group' etc. lightening the load considerably. Most combat elements fought at only around 70-75% strength at best, so a paper ten-man squad was just about manageable with 7 men on average.

CoC sort of evidences the difficulties of C3 with its command dice; a bare bones platoon with 5 dice is pretty easy to play, but each element you add means you have to stretch those dice.

Imagine you're a squad leader with six dice and each man in your squad requires a dice to activate; how big is a useful squad going to be and how useful is having an assistant who can himself activate a couple of guys once you've activated him?

We haven't shifted to smaller squads or fireteams Post-WWII for nothing. :)