Chaco War (1932-35)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Rolf

Re: Chaco War (1932-35)

Post by Rolf »

So doing a bit of digging and thrashing this out with Adrian English (The Chaco War author) it appears the Paraguayan Infantry used an evolving platoon structure that moved it from a rifle grenadier heavy platoon, to a balanced two LMG and two rifle grenadier sections, subsequently up to three LMG sections and one rifle grenadier section as captured equipment was incorporated into the Paraguayan platoon structures and the benefits of the automatic section weapon were obviously taken advantage of.

The big arms haul of the capture of the entire Bolivian IV and IX Divisions at Campo Vía, in October 1933 really gave the Paraguayans a boost in small arms (and other) equipment) that enabled these platoon evolutions to take place.

Coy. HQ (1 Officer, 2 ORs – Total: 3)
4 Platoons, each
Platoon. HQ (1 Sargento/Cabo in each)
1 LMG Section: (made up of 1 LMG with 2 crew & 5 ORs – Total: 8); and
3 R-G Sections: (made up of 7 ORs – Total: 24)
35 men

4 Platoons, each
2 LMG Section: (made up of 1 LMG with 2 crew & 5 ORs – Total: 16); and
2 R-G Sections: (made up of 7 ORs – Total: 16)
35 men

1934-45
4 Platoons, each
3 LMG Section: (made up of 1 LMG with 2 crew & 5 ORs – Total: 16); and
1 R-G Sections: (made up of 7 ORs – Total: 16)
35 men

That is the thrust of the Paraguayan infantry development with obvious local in field variation subject to weapon availability and attrition.

FYI

R

Last edited by Rolf on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

…I hate these ‘lone’ conversations but anyway…we continue…

For the Bolivians there are two types of platoon structures. They based their doctrine on predominantly German regulations. It looks to the typical South American 35 man platoon organisation of this time. I designate these in my CoC lists as Type 1 and Type 2. When/if the cross over occurred between the two is a little uncertain so both types are valid and possibly in such a large army and with ‘new forces’ being trained a few times during the war both could be seen in the field at the same time. In general, Type 1 would be early war and Type 2 late war.

..please feel free to stir the discussion in any direction if you feel so inclined…

Cheers

R

Bolivian Infantry - Type 1
Coy. HQ (1 Officer, 2-3 NCOs & 4-6 ORs – Total: 7-10)
3 Platoons
Platoon. HQ (1 Officer, one senior NCO & 1 OR – Total: 3)

4 Sections: (Each one squads made up of 1 LMG with 2 crew & 6 ORs – Total: 8)

35 men

and

Bolivian Infantry - Type 2
Coy. HQ (1 Officer, 3 NCOs & 4 ORs – Total: 7)
3 Platoons
Platoon. HQ (1 Officer, one senior NCO & 1 OR – Total: 3)
2 Sections - Rifle Grenadier 1 & 2: (Each one squad made up of 1 NCO, 1 LMG with 2 crew & 11 ORs – Total: 14); or

2 Sections: (1NCO plus one squad made up of 1 LMG with 2 crew & 4 ORs, and 7 ORs in a second squad – Total: 14)

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Helloooooooo.....is there anyone out there?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

I have no knowledge or interest in the period but I think its great if people can adapt CoC for other periods that interest them like the SCW, RCW and this one.

Your figures have been painted up really well and I look forward to seeing some AAR's

Were there any vehicles, trains , armour etc in the Chaco wars similar to the SCW?

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

Rolf wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 am
Think of it like a lecture and you're looking out at our knowledge-starved faces. ;)

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Arlequín wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:31 am
Rolf wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 am
Think of it like a lecture and you're looking out at our knowledge-starved faces. ;)
What he said!

And I've always loved "stupid wars", and this is right up there with the Guano War of 1879 - 1884 and the Football War of 1969 for sheer, utter, uncomprehendingly pointlessness. In the case of the Chaco War, the totally surreal aspect was the sponsorship of the two countries by Shell and British Petroleum (from memory) in the hopes of being able to exploit supposed oil reserves in the disputed region when their side eventually won (oil reserves which ultimately proved to be totally non existent). I also appreciate the absurdity of a C20 war which featured the discovery of previously "lost tribes", many of which took their "discovery" badly (and violently).

So yes, you do have an audience here.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks for chipping in chaps

@Truscott

I have no knowledge or interest in the period but I think its great if people can adapt CoC for other periods that interest them like the SCW, RCW and this one.

The period is actually quite well suite IMHO for CoC. It has all the moving parts of a typical CoC game and the unique interwar stuff Arlequin and I did for the SCW fits in rather well with the subject matter.

Check out a good MW article here.
http://orinoco-miniatures.blogspot.com. ... games.html

Your figures have been painted up really well and I look forward to seeing some AAR’s

The figures are not mine - they are very nicely painted and come from the web…just thought I’d throw in a bit of eye candy...they came from here
http://vonbrowne.blogspot.com.au/search ... haco%20War

Were there any vehicles, trains , armour etc in the Chaco wars similar to the SCW?

Actually there were tanks, trains and armour…but not much!! Actually very little, but they were used in combat and they are cool as well.

Vickers single and twin turret, a pair of Carden-Loyd MG carriers and yes…a train or two…

Bob Cordery pointed out a bit of ‘kit’ in his post on the war..
http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com ... o-war.html

..glad to see my postings are maybe not for nought…so I shall persevere.

One thing that is interesting is that for the entry of a platoon of infantry on both sides you really do have the entire war covered.

They are regular armies supported by aged artillery pieces and you can put on table, a tank or carrier, flamethrowers if you want and both sides have unique attributes that make them tactically different from one another both with an evolving platoon organisational structures…so from a CoC game perspective there really is a bit to dig your teeth into.

Are you going to sell of all your Fallschirmjäger and WW2 Americans…no...but you can unlock and entire interwar conflict with but two platoons of infantry and some interesting history…not a bad return on investment if you're looking for something a bit different to the usual WW2 fest.

Actions revolve around classic WW1 type assaults up to all the usual scenarios that WW2 CoC has in it. So you can have a genuine 12 scenarios if you add in the WW1 ‘Cocked up’ special WW1 supplement and get quite a few different types of games.

Cheers

R

Last edited by Rolf on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

Definitely not for nought, but the lack of figures and the non-mechanised nature of the war weigh against you. There is an interest though, there are close on 300 views!

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

"lack of figures"

Well, the bulk of the infantry is available. Officers can be any SCW types and I have a plan for a very simple conversion of a few figures to carry a Madsen LMG instead of rifle...easy stuff. That pretty much gives you everything you need...so figures wise, it's quite doable. If a few emails were sent to our friends at Oronico Miniatures maybe those greens he already has complete could be made available...

http://orinoco-miniatures.blogspot.com. ... haco%20War

"...and the non-mechanised nature of the war"
I'm not sure this is in anyway a negative for CoC...for Bolt Action, yes...CoC, no. Chain of Command, as you well know, is an infantry game with extras...BA is the other way around. Chaco War is all about infantry...

I think it's a good fit...different...but a good fit ;)

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

I was thinking more in terms of attracting players. CoC is indeed infantry-focused by design, but it doesn't necessarily follow that most of its players are. How many threads here relate to vehicles and how to represent someone's favourite one in-game?

You're preaching to the converted though. I'm tempted to bang my head on the table when 'every' SCW game I see features tanks. Each side only had around 100 at any one time at best (compared to c. 200k infantry each), yet they're everywhere in wargames!

:D

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Calvary .........you need cavalry if you want to attract players 😁