Achtung! (Summer special 2017) Mini-campaign questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tom Ballou

Re: Achtung! (Summer special 2017) Mini-campaign questions

Post by Tom Ballou »

Leadership in Bunkers

If a leader is in a bunker and a team is outside but within 6" of the bunker can he activate them with a CI, or can he only affect the section in the bunker with him?
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 »

I'd allow if there was an open door or other easy way for the leader to see the troops outside, but not through a firing slit or some other similarly small or covered aperture. Seems like a call you'd need to make for the specific situation.

Chris

Peter

Post by Peter »

I don't think I'd allow it.

Peter

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Sounds like an ideal one for applying the Advanced Rules which require a Leader to have a line of sight to the troops he is trying to command.

John

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Well at my second run at Huzzah! it seems 6 feet of wire wasn't enough. I have made up another 2 feet for Historicon!

BTW its going off on Thursday 10AM, table 42.
--Tom

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Well post Historicon, and talking to Big Rich. Seems there needs to be a scenario specific rule for Cleaning mine fields and wire. Instead of rolling for a 6 to succeed, a task number should be assigned say 10 or 12. Each attempt to clear roll 1d6 add to task number when exceeded, the wire is breached or the mine field is cleared. Bangalores work as per the rules.

This means of course you can’t breach in one turn unless you have multiple teams. But unlike the Americans in my game you will not make 9 attempts and fail all... :!:

They played a great game, but they started getting desperate trying to breech the mine field, and took too much fire.

In retrospect, they had a fix to their problem, and the Germans were exposed, but we didn’t think of it at the time...

To concentrate fire on the Americans the Germans had come out of the bunker and placed the LMG team and rifle squad in the trenches, and an extra MMG also in the trenches next to the bunker. So they had 30 dice being driven by a SL. Withering fire. The American could have cancelled his smoke mission (it wasn't being stoked), and swapped targets to the other bunker. If he didn't lose his access, he could have dropped 81mm mortar fire on the Bunker (hard cover -1 kill) and the entrenchments (soft cover). The Germans would have had to scurry into the bunker for safety, allowing the Americans to keep clearing the mine field. If they had lost the mortars, well that would have been all. But there was a chance.
--Tom