Achtung! (Summer special 2017) Mini-campaign questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tom Ballou

Achtung! (Summer special 2017) Mini-campaign questions

Post by Tom Ballou »

I’ve been inspired by making the scene. I’m contemplating making a table based on the look of the movie “When Trumpets Fade”.

I had a couple of questions on the bunkers.
  • Can anyone use a satchel charge?
  • I’m assuming the 08 MMG comes with each bunker and requires a crew of three, does this seem right?
  • If the 08 gets damaged, I assume the Germans use one of their MGs as a replacement
  • Flamethowers vs bunkers, per 9.6 they ignore all cover is this true vs bunkers. I understand if the close the embrasures, they are safe, but is there any cover for the front facing port (sans embrasures)?
Anyone played this is it fun?
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Munin

Re: Achtung! (Summer special 2017) Mini-campaign questions

Post by Munin »

Anyone can use a Satchel Charge. Typically, they are purchased as part of the force and given to a particular squad before the game. When it comes time to use it, a leader will typically expend a CI to create an ad-hoc "team" (usually of one man) who is then sent charging headlong to plant the charge. Once this "team" is created, I typically treat it as a Tank-Hunter team (section 9.3.4 in the main rules), meaning the bearer of the Satchel Charge can move up to 2D6" when activated. If he makes contact with the vehicle (or in your case, bunker), he can plant the charge, then retire 1D6". The effect of the charge is then resolved.

Note that if the squad's JL is killed, the squad lacks CIs to make this happen - it's just like losing your JL before you manage to use the squad's Panzerfaust. In this case, a SL would need to enter the fray, get within his command radius, and order the Satchel Charge to be used.

In looking at the rules for "Achtung!" I don't see anything that implies the Germans get a free machine gun. When the bunkers were first constructed in the early 1930s, the MG08 was still the Wehrmacht's chief emplaced MG. But with the advent of the MG34, my guess is that most of those earlier weapons were replaced. I think for the purposes of the scenario, the "MG34 on Tripod Mount with 5 crew" (a List 4 choice you can only take once) represents the #10 bunker's main armament, and the squad-organic MG34s are used in the smaller #1 bunker (which has no accommodations and would only be manned in the event of trouble).

There is no cover for the front-facing port (a fact mentioned in the Western Wall article), so it is flame-thrower bait.

I haven't played the scenario, but it looks pretty brutal.

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

BTW this from the horse's mouth:

MG08 is what they get as part of the bunker, but only in the forward
firing position. They need the G34 to cover the rear door.

Cheers

Rich
--Tom

Munin

Post by Munin »

OK, good to know!

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Does direct fire HE reduce the cover by one vs a bunker? An I correct it should be treated as HE vs infantry?

I don’t see an exception in the rules other than ignoring the first kill.

I’m also assume a bunker doesn’t go unstable on triple 6s.

If i understand this correctly a Sherman could fire 6d6 hitting on 4+ vs light cover, with the Germans ignoring the first kill.
--Tom

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Thats how the rules read.

However, If I was playing bunkers I would use the rule for reducing cover if it was a log/earth bunker and if it was a concrete and steel reinforced jobbie I would tend to not reduce cover unless it was a 150mm+ shell hitting it.

I was reading a D-Day account recently where the 95mm Centaur could not shift the Germans from their bunker with HE but an M-10 firing AP did the job.

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Can you start a game deployed on table?

Just a thought, if the Americans take the Pre-Game Bombardment, the Germans have to check to deploy into the bunker (more importantly, to deploy to man the 08 MMG).

I would assume it was manned, but by the rules, I think they have roll to man it.
--Tom

Peter

Post by Peter »

No, all troops start undeployed. If the enemy manages to overrun a jump-off point or bunker before you can deploy, then assume it was taken out by the barrage.

Peter

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Thank you!

Looking a the American jump off points, since the forest provides stationary cover, but by description the woods are cleared. So it seems the American JoPs could set no closer that 18”to the clearing, or would they go all the way back to the baseline.
--Tom

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Leadership in an R10 bunker. Since the fighting position is isolated from the crew quarters by two armored doors. I assume a leader has to be in the crew quarters to apply leadership, and in or behind the fighting position to activate it.
--Tom