using a "2" ... coming from the FAQ thread

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

seldon

using a "2" ... coming from the FAQ thread

Post by seldon »

In the FAQ thread I found this

"> 3) Can you use the roll to activate a single team (if the section has
previously been split up, or if it is a single team unit)?

You can indeed."

This answer was in relation to "can I use a "2" to activate two teams that had previously split up ?"

On another post on Yahoo, you indicated that with a 2 you cannot activate two teams from a section that had split up previously.. ( and you added, "I never said that..." :D )

So I believe in one of the two you misread the question or you changed your mind (nothing wrong with that :) )...

But, which one would you think should be the final answer... ?

This is critical for our SCW games as many sections are large three rifle team units so it is important to understand what flexibility I lose with the command dice as I break up the teams...

I opened another thread so as not to mess up the FAQ thread...

thanks !
Francisco

Kustenjaeger

Re: using a "2" ... coming from the FAQ thread

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

Any of the 3 rifle teams will activate together as a section on a roll of 2 if they are all within 4" of one another but have to take the same action - see 4.4 p17 and 4.5.7 p21.

If a team is beyond 4" from the rest of the section then it will need a roll of 1 to activate (4.4 p16) or a command initiative (4.5.2) from a leader. A roll of 1 can also activate a team that is within 4" of the rest of the section.

On a side note are the rifle teams actually discrete organisational elements within the SCW section or are they ad hoc creations by the section leader?

Regards

Edward

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

Other wise as I read it you could activate on team with a one or use the Junior leader to do so tough he may not have the command initiative to have three teams doing different things

:evil:
Dark lord at large....

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

OK I have split my Squad into two teams, say Rifle and LMG, which part of the squad can activate on a 2 if the 2 teams are > 4" apart?

1 The one with the leader is considered the rump squad?

2 They now considered teams until they are within 4"?
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

Tom Ballou wrote:2 They now considered teams until they are within 4"?
That.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

seldon

Post by seldon »

Edward, I agree with what you right ( I assume by any you mean any and all if they are within 4")..

That is why I was kind of confused with Rich's answer... maybe he meant to answer yes to activating a single team squad with a 2 and not to the rest of the question...

In any case seems everyone reads them the same way... teams over 4" need a 1 if all the teams in the section are within 4" they can use a 2 to activate or 1s to activate individually..

These are not ad-hoc teams, apparently this is how they were organized .. I'm going by the Disposable Heroes army lists...

thanks everyone for your answers...

Francisco

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Gents,

Can I suggest you check out Jim Hale's web pages on SCW forces. It is very good.

http://myscw.blogspot.co.uk

I have the Iron Ivan books also and they are indeed useful but would use them with caution for some organisations. The organisation of the typical Spanish platoon does not have a separate LMG Team for the Africanistas for example. Also, I'm not sure there were two LMGs in two of the three squads in a Section.

The LMG was one of three squads in the organisation of a Section (one LMG, two Rifle), two of which formed a platoon. The Section Sergeant usually attached himself to the LMG squad to direct its fire, much as a German NCO does with his LMG.

Use the lists with caution (they may be correct, but a double check would be a good idea IMO if you want to confirm accuracy), however I still think there is much value in the books and recommend them, even if you don't play DH.

Cheers

Rolf

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

I think I may have mis-answered a question somewhere on this.

If you have a section which splits into two teams and they are more than 4" from each other, they are now two teams not one section and can ONLY activate on 1's. 2's are no good.

Hopefully that is clear.

Rich

Peter

Post by Peter »

Richard, if the section had sent off a couple of scouts, would this be considered splitting the squad as well? I'm inclined to think not, but would like to hear your take on this.

Peter

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

I agree totally with you, because the two key teams LMG and Rifle are still intact.

Rich