Recce/patrol phase

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

wargameroz

Recce/patrol phase

Post by wargameroz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

Ok forget me if I commit heresy here :D but has anyone actually done the patrol phase using figures or vehicles, and can it be done. The reason I ask is I have built some of the 43rd Wessex Recce Regiment and would like to use them doing what they are meant to do, or are there scenarios somewhere that I could use the guys

Thanks in advance

Oz

Truscott Trotter

Re: Recce/patrol phase

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:01 am

I reckon it would look good to put men or vehicles on the appropriate sized bases

hithero

Post by hithero » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 am

Not yet, but I will be when I get my Baker Company ski troops :)

wargameroz

Post by wargameroz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 am

Well I have started a solo game to get used to the rules a bit more, so far the troops are close but not quite close enough to be locked, that might come after dinner. I might also start another game on another part of the table using vehicles, might even take some photos if I remember to take the iPhone down

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:55 am

My initial reaction would be to use the smaller vehicles as 'patrol markers' and keep the game as a largely infantry-based action.

The patrol phase abstracts out any recce. As we are talking about contact within 12" (40 yards or so) I imagine it more as foot patrols rather than vehicles. To actually use recce vehicles to do this would be a game (and a dangerous one!) in itself.

Still, if you allocate some recce vehicles to your force and start with your jump-off points all on the baseline, advancing the vehicles would allow you (through CoC dice) to move up your jump-off points. It would be quite slow, though; and I'm not sure how it would work for anything other than the 'patrol' scenario: possibly allow the defender to pre-place jump-off points but not move them?

Peter

gweirda

Post by gweirda » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:I reckon it would look good to put men or vehicles on the appropriate sized bases
Okay, I'm being lazy and not going to look at the rules, so forgive the silly question:
Why would bases be needed?...isn't measurement done center-to-center?

I'd always planned to just use figures from the forces themselves (choosing appropriately 'scout'-looking poses) as the patrol markers, and then some clever little dioramas for the JOPs (again: of no particular size) ...do I shelve the idea?

Tede

Post by Tede » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:10 pm

When my son's Uni term finishes, we're going to try adding a Patrol phase to our IABSM-based Western Desert tank game, and I intend to use armoured cars as patrol markers.

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:50 pm

gweirda, the only issue I can see with using single figures rather than a nice bright circle might be that you miss one of them and move closer than 12" to an opponent's marker. If you're playing with a relaxed enough group this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Peter

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Just blu-tack a scout figure to a poker chip.