Night Fighting - Parachute Flares

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

SteveBurt

Re: Night Fighting - Parachute Flares

Post by SteveBurt »

hedgehobbit wrote:
EvilGinger wrote:The illumination radius seems to be too small a parachute flare would light up pretty much all of a CoC battle field to some degree & even a flare pistol will give a good light over a considerable area, from experience & on this ground scale 20-30".

I gave a normal mortar flare a radius of 15" so that will be a circle of 30" diameter plus the more faintly illuminated areas 15" more inches after that. That's a circle that's 5 feet across which should cover most of even a large game table.

evillsvain wrote:Flare Pistol rounds shouldn't last longer than the Phase they're used and probably the following Phase (so about 20 sec.).

I've gone back and forth about the duration. One phase seems too short since it won't affect your opponents phase whereas a turn is too long. What I don't want is to have to keep track of all the various Flare Markers with different durations unless it's necessary to make it reasonably accurate.
What about two phases - this one and the following one?

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

SteveBurt wrote:What about two phases - this one and the following one?

That's probably the way to do. Have the flare marker two sided so you can keep track of it. You also might want to have them drift as well from one phase to the next. I just don't want a ton of die rolling involved.

I suspect that night fights will have lots of units on Overwatch. Once the flare goes up, a target will be illuminated, then shot at. Those firing units will have Gunflashes and can be targeted by enemies who, themselves, will get Gunflashes. A whole chain reaction of firing going on.

Speaking of which, units that fire will get Gunflash markers. These markers will allow that unit to be shot at with a one level cover bonus. These markers will last two phases as well but will be removed if the unit moves.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

initial scrambling about on the internet suggests the following. Pistol flares at least half the board for a turn. Any thing bigger the whole board for a turn or more suggest being able to use CoC dice to extend time as per barrages or cause them to burn out early for that matter.

I would suggest a bonus to hit or extra dice against moving targets as the recommended tactic for dealing with flares is to freeze until they burn out. I like the suggested muzzle flash rules but would up the benefit if the firer was using tracer as it works both ways.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

EvilGinger wrote:initial scrambling about on the internet suggests the following. Pistol flares at least half the board for a turn.

How big a board are you talking about? I play on an 8x6. With my chart, a flare pistol will illuminate a circle 2 feet across whereas a mortar fired flare illuminates 5 feet across. That's 1/2 and all if you are playing on a 4x4 table. It's not just about the area lit, it's the area lit where you can see someone well enough to attack without any penalty.

Also, I already had rules for movement under flarelight.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

The standard size 6' by 4' thought my usual one is 8'by 6'

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

MOVEMENT:

All movement will suffer in Night Fighting. When moving in an illuminated area, reroll all 6s on the movement dice. When moving in a faintly illuminated area (outside of but withing double the range of a flare or in full moonlight) reroll 5s and 6s. If moving in the darkness, reroll all 4s, 5s and 6s. Units with a Gunflash marker, have one worse reroll. So, would reroll 3s and up if in darkness.

[NOTE] Limiting movement is a tough thing to do in a game as it tends to drag the game out. I chose rerolls rather than penalties as I want it too seem like it's harder to move around (the reroll represents a stumble) yet still allows a lucky high roll to move the normal distance.