Tips for balancing your own scenarios

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

vikblo

Tips for balancing your own scenarios

Post by vikblo »

Hello friends,

Would you mind sharing how you generally go about making and balancing your own scenarios? Things like how to value how hard the victory condition is for either side etc, and how mich support is needed to balance the odds.

A rules question in regards to this, I have not managed to find in the rulebook when an objective counts as captured, could someone point me to it?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Tips for balancing your own scenarios

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Hi vikblo
I cannot help with the first question as I am still working that one out for myself, bnut with the second - its in movement here p 30
7.6 OVER‐RUNNING JUMP‐OFF POINTS
Troops moving to within 4” of an enemy Jump–Off Point will deny its use to the enemy while
they are in such close proximity.

Troops who move onto an enemy Jump‐Off Point are considered to have captured that position,
stopping it from being used for the remainder of the current Turn.

If the original owner of the Jump‐Off Point is unable to move troops onto the Jump‐Off Point
before the end of the current Turn, thereby recapturing it, it will be removed from play at the
end of the Turn.

So another reason for using a CoC die to end a turn!

EDIT ooops sorry I read objective and it turned to JOP in my mind.
FWIW I would treat Objectives the same way - if you have troops on it its yours - remembering you cannot be within 4" of troops (normally) without being in close combat anyway
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi vikblo,
For capturing an objective, I suspect it isn't stated explicitly because it is assumed that players can tell for themselves if an objective is currently captured or still disputed. In my games I usually rule that a player has to have men, or a vehicle if appropriate, in sole possession of the objective at the end of the Turn, like capturing a JOP, which gives their opponent some opportunity to counter attack but doesn't drag things out indefinitely. Some scenarios may require you to hold it until your opponent withdraws either voluntarily or due to Force Morale. That's certainly the case if you are using Scenario 6 Attack on an Objective in the rules as spelt out under Objective on page 79.

As for balancing scenarios, it's usually a case of trial and error and pain inflicted on long suffering Club colleagues in my case. The other option is to cheat a bit and steal a scenario from one of the Pint Sized Campaigns and amend it to use the forces you have or to fit the background you need.

John

Seret

Post by Seret »

vikblo wrote:Hello friends,

Would you mind sharing how you generally go about making and balancing your own scenarios?
Easiest way to do that is to just keep things as close to one of the standard scenarios from the rulebook. The further you deviate from that with regards to deployment and victory conditions, the more you're into unknown territory.

If it's to do with force strengths you can work out a force rating for each side using the CoCulator, although for historical scenarios you probably don't want to bother balancing the forces exactly as your forces are probably somewhat set in stone. However, I find figuring out the force ratings is a good way to find out how far your historical forces differ from what would be a "balanced" game, and you can adjust things like victory conditions or scenario special rules accordingly to make a more interesting game of it.

For capturing objectives you'll notice that the scenarios in the book tend to suggest putting a JOP on the objective. That makes it pretty simple to judge when it's been captured. Capture the JOP to capture the objective.

vikblo

Post by vikblo »

Something I don’t understand in the scenarios is that thing where you have to take the objective AND break your opponent. If you break your opponent and are not on the objective, do you lose the game? Why?

Seret

Post by Seret »

vikblo wrote:If you break your opponent and are not on the objective, do you lose the game?
No. If the enemy buggers off they abandon the objective to you.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

You mean this one?
To win a victory, the attacker must capture the game objective and hold it until his opponent is
obliged to withdraw from the table, either voluntarily or due to Force Morale. Any other result is a victory for the defender.

Yes it is confusingly written - in effect you have to break your opponent - the Objective is immaterial.

If it said you must capture the objective and hold it until the end of the turn it would make the objective worthwhile but as you have to break your opponent anyway. :roll:

I guess it still matters in campaigns where the opponent may decide to cut their losses and voluntarily withdraw from the table 8-)

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

I think that is something we can add to the Errata. Hold the objective until the end of the turn OR break your opponent's Force Morale. That gives two different ways to win.

Rich

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

And completely changes the play balance f the scenario :-)
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

vikblo

Post by vikblo »

Derek H wrote:And completely changes the play balance f the scenario :-)
Better to rebalance it then rather than have the mission objective be irrelevant!