Beasts of Lard!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Beasts of Lard!

Post by Truscott Trotter »

So if we want to see more material on YouTube I think it is down to the community to produce them.

+100% - am willing to act as fluffer but I suspect being Cecil B DE Milne AND Clark Gable (well more Ernest Borgnine) is a lot harder than it looks - as John mentioned.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Archdukek wrote: Looks like only Big Rich can do that and I doubt he has the time.

John
You don't need to be an admin just to move a bit of content around, surely? A mod should be able to do that. We've got two of those we just need them to pop in and do it.

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin »

^^

It really is a basic Mod function, if the 2 we have cant find time SURELY someone else on here can be trusted to have Mod rights?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As I recall, Robert and Laffe stepped up to help Richard out early on in the life of the whole Forum in handling new members. As a consequence they ended up named as Moderstors on every board. .
I don't recall seeing any posts from them on here for some time so they may not be aware of this discussion.

John

Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth »

Not sure if this is useful, but I have seen other forums do it. Have a thread that is a masterlist of other useful threads on the forum. So have the first post in that masterlist thread have a variety of categories, with each category having links to relevant interesting threads on the forum, with perhaps a brief description of why the thread is interesting..

Users can then post to this thread any links to threads that they think are worth putting in, and the original poster of the thread can then edit their first post to put them in. That way, over time, the masterlist gets bigger, more complete, and more useful.

I realize this is not really the best option for re-organization, as it still requires users to read through those other threads that are mentioned in the masterlist, but it would be useful. Searching for things on the forum is not the easiest, so a masterlist would be very useful - well it would be for me! :

I also realize that at the moment there is no one who can sticky such a thread, but so long as users are posting up threads that need to be included on the masterlist, the thread will stay high in the forum. It can always be bumped every now and again when it slips too far down. )

Realize this is really just a stop-gap measure, but would allow the community to help point out useful threads for people not au fait with the forum, and also allows the process to start quickly, rather than having to wait for mods to appear etc.

EDIT: the masterlist should also provide links to other useful blogs, action reports etc i.e. not be confined to just threads on this forum.

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

Hello Everybody

Robert Avery here. Very interesting thread and lots of good ideas on how we improve the Forum. Thanks to Archdukek for pointing this thread out to me.

I'm having lunch with Big Rich tomorrow, so will raise the issues mentioned with him then, and report back appropriately.

Note that as a moderator as opposed to an administrator, I see my role more as policing the forums for behavioural lapses (IIRC I've only ever had to have a quiet word with one member since the forum was launched: a testament to Lardism if ever there was one) and nuking spam, rather than anything more active. Rich likes to maintain central control of other things so that we get a continuity of approach...but I'll speak to him tomorrow about the other stuff mentioned.

Captain W Martin

Would anyone who has a history here volunteer to undertake Mod duties to help support Vis perhaps?

All we really need is a decent up to date sticky with all the bits new players need, and perhaps the less active but useful stickies made a bit more discreet?

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

So, having re-read the thread again, in summary the major bits of housekeeping that are needed on the CoC forum are:

Clean up the Sticky posts until they cover:
FAQs and Errata (and kept current!)
Updated force ratings
Consolidated Arsenal
CoCulator (this is there, but needs a massive cleanup)
Army Lists (needs updating!)
Links to most important resources (ATSE, BigCoC, list of Pint Size campaigns)

Anything else?

Captain W Martin

Perhaps links to the Youtube demo's and some of the blogs? (Both these were instrumental in getting me to take the plunge)?

One to also mull over is also player finder thread with a simple pro forma (Location etc?).

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Right chaps. Several issues here.

1. Fuck ups on the BOW video. Undoubtedly. We did a whole week of filming where we flitted from SP to CoC and at some points the rules got blurred.

2. FAQ. I am, allegedly, working on this currently but we have a huge accounting issue caused by the change from the old web site to the new one and I have quite literally had to go through 10,000 orders and manually analyse all sales over the past 20 months. That isn't your problem or fault, it's mine, but the fact remains that I have had to do it. I hope I finished that today.

3. Administrators etc. Frankly, I never wanted this forum and when we diverged from the yahoo group, I did say that I would never be able to keep up with it. I can't. I honestly cannot do so even with Monty's help. Now I fail to keep up with here and the yahoo group. But people insisted they wanted it. However, please compare and contrast the contact you have with me with other game designers. I do what I can. I am actually very efficient on Facebook, but I am not omnipresent.

4. I am meeting Robert tomorrow and promise to take my notebook.

Rich