Beasts of Lard!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Munin

Re: Beasts of Lard!

Post by Munin »

Arlequín wrote:CoC players would rather just get on with playing a game than produce a set-piece video that mimics how a game should be played; otherwise there would be some out there already.
That's as may be, but if there were a Miniwargaming.com equivalent for TFL games, I would subscribe to it in a heartbeat. I voraciously devour AARs and campaign reports, and would love videos of game-play. That said, there's an art to making a good battle report, and it requires equipment and some training or experience to do well.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Interesting points raised in this vid
1.) Attaching a JL to ONE team only to avoid casualties. IIRC if the JL is within 4" of both teams he should be attached to both and thus if each team suffers one dead he should roll on a 1 or 2 not just a 1 to see if he is hit?
p 21
4.5.8 ATTACHING LEADERS
All Junior Leaders, will begin the game attached
to their troops. These Leaders remain attached
as long as one man in their Unit is within 4” of
them.

So unless you move your JL further tank 4" from the other team is it not automatically attached to both?

Also the deploying on a 3 and use of 2 CI from the JL to direct the fire of the LMG team. The rifle team still fired because it is deployment - presumably in normal circumstances the rifle team would not fire. Cunning trick No1! :P

EDIT Got to the assault I think Rich might have forgotten this one:

If you are defending heavy cover add 1D6 for
each two D6 you already have (first round only)

Also looks like we had been doing it wrong too we added one for each leader as a man then added their command initiative on top - go figure! :oops:

Never thought about fighting more than once in CC in a phase - advance to occupy the ground previously held by their defeated opponent - needs defining if you are going to be using it to come within 4" of a fresh opponent. ie can you move as far as the initial position of any enemy figure - that could be a rather long way if you hit the end of a line?
Perhaps 1D6" would be fairer?

Seret

Post by Seret »

I'm not sure you should take everything Rich did in the video as gospel, TT. There were a few things he did that aren't strictly in line with the rulebook. I think we all do little things when playing that are idiosyncratic. Rich puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I left out heaps of little things and only mentioned the ones that really intrigued me :D
Not saying Rich is wrong - well apart from the first one but I am surprised at how we have played things so differently on several points

Rich puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.
Yes but surely they go on the outside of his trousers? :? :lol:

vikblo

Post by vikblo »

andysyk wrote:Unfortunately COC doesn't lend itself to the masses, the above things are not really very assessable and the CoCulator is frankly a nightmare to the uninitiated.
Bolt Action is very successful, its simpler and people can tinker easier.
It is not accurate but...........
There are virtually no COC game battlereports on YouTube but hundreds if not thousands of BA.
BA is a package you buy the rules, you buy a starter army, source book and add to it.
COC .....you have to choose a figure supplier, do a little research, (somebody has been on the forum lately, very keen but doesn't get half the rulebook)etc
I am 100% certain that the game can be made almost as accessible as Bolt Action. I just think it is a matter of improving the rulebook, no rules need to be changed at all. The second thing it needs is exposure on YouTube. It is not easy to produce good video content, but with some help from someone with the skills and tools needed it could be done!

I understand that people don’t want the rules dumbed down, but there is a difference between that and not having to scour a web forum to find out if all models carry grenades or not.

Seret

Post by Seret »

The main reason for the popularity of BA over CoC isn't anything to do with the rules. It's the fact that one has a large company with piles of money, their own humongous range of miniatures and people to do things like marketing. TFL is a bit of a cottage industry, so the fact CoC is as well known as it is is a huge success.

CoC is a grass-roots success, BA is a marketing-driven one. Different animals entirely.

There's no reason we shouldn't try and pimp CoC as much as we can, but I don't think aiming for parity with BA is a realistic goal.

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

What Andy just said, in its entirety!

:ugeek: :mrgreen: :ugeek: ;)

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin »

Sooo....can we tidy up the forum then please?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I completely agree with Seret.

TFL is not merely a cottage industry, it is largely a one man band, namely Big Rich who not only has to deal with orders but undertake the research to produce the new products we all enjoy and which provide the cash flow to keep TFL in business. They get nothing for all the money we spend on figures to play their games so will never match the likes of Warlord for resources.

For TFL i believe it was quite an effort to produce the Yahoo videos they did to introduce CoC and the latest Beasts of War filming apparently involved Rich in 14 hour days for the best part of a week. So if we want to see more material on YouTube I think it is down to the community to produce them.

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Captain W Martin wrote:Sooo....can we tidy up the forum then please?
Looks like only Big Rich can do that and I doubt he has the time.

John