Beasts of Lard!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

andysyk

Re: Beasts of Lard!

Post by andysyk »

Honestly this forum is not great if you are new to COC and come here for help. Its confusing, even if you can find something relative to what you are asking with the search there are a lot of unanswered rules queries and division of opinions, without any official clarification.
My previous post was maybe misunderstood, what I am saying is look at the coverage of BA online especially YouTube, then look at COC. How many battle reports? One from Rich introducing the rules, one other full play that I can find which isn't great and the new Beasts one, which is great!
BA full length reports many by many and a good lot of them a very entertaining. Its catching more people, its not any where near a good WW2 skirmish ruleset its basically crap on any historical basis. But I'm sorry it is far more accessible and popular than COC.

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin »

I agree, and there is lots that could help.

In the short term just a simple tidy up of thread and making sure the obvious threads are made sticky would be a huge step forward.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Spoke to Monty yesterday at Targe and he confirmed that he had neither the administrative rights nor the technical skills to do this. He will, however, draw the discussion to Rich's attention though whether he will have the time to follow it through is another matter.

John

Seret

Post by Seret »

Archdukek wrote:Spoke to Monty yesterday at Targe and he confirmed that he had neither the administrative rights nor the technical skills to do this.
Not really an issue of technical skill, it's just moving some content around. Anyone with admin or moderator rights on the site should be able to do it. Looks like Rich is the site admin, with Rob Avery and Laffe as mods. They're the ones who can sort it out.

Changing the search engine probably isn't an option. They tend to come as part of the back end of the site. Replacing it would be a major pain, and pretty much all forums have bad search anyway. It's often easier to just do a Google search with:

Code: Select all

"search terms" site:http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/
If that doesn't find what you're looking for, nothing will.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

andysyk wrote:But I'm sorry it is far more accessible and popular than COC.
In the same way as checkers/drafts is more popular and accessible than chess, yet neither will replace the other. Both produce skilled players, who rarely excel in the 'other game' when they play it.

Without meaning to be patronising, BA is within the comfort zone of those people drawn to it from GW games, both as far as style of play goes and the community it develops around it. Warlord has a vested interest in pushing lead, plastic, resin and paper to its players, and developing a 'show and tell' ethic within its community to continually promote the game and its goods for free.

CoC is a different animal, as are most of its players. There are no 'how to paint' and similar threads here, nor discussions on what produces the 'best bang for your buck' in terms of points, just as there are few threads devoted to organisation and tactics on the BA forum.

CoC players would rather just get on with playing a game than produce a set-piece video that mimics how a game should be played; otherwise there would be some out there already.

I don't want to convey a sort of mass-appeal vs refined taste thing here, it just comes down to what you prefer to do in your free time and how you prefer to do it. This forum could be more accessible sure, things could be tidier and better edited, but to a fair chunk of this community, it comes way down the list when compared to, say, whether a M1919A4 is a MMG or a LMG.

More importantly if Rich was more hands-on here, it would take time away from whatever it is he's doing instead.

;)

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I agree Arlequin but should point out you will not find threads on the BA forums as they no longer exist. They were disabled a month or so ago and may return sometime in the new year.....if any body can be bothered loooking.

They have said to use faceslap or twatter if you want to communicate with them. Did not mention what to do if you want to communicate with other BA players.

So we should as CoC whilst wanting to improve things also appreciate what we have here.

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

What Arlequin said (I'd like a nodding emoji for here) , and then what TT said as well :roll: :lol: .

;)

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin »

Crickey!

I didn't know they had got rid of the BA forum, I used to post on there a lot...that's telling, and all the more reason to have a bit of a tidy up here perhaps?

Its all well and good having a great new demo to attract new players, but its a fail to not tidy up here and such an easy win frankly.

I WOULD find some further set piece videos on how the games EXTREMELY useful. I have taught 10-12 people in my local area how to play CoC in the 12 months and built a good scene from scratch ( I gave someone there first game today) and these demos are so blooming handy!

Having good quality supporting marketing which includes demo videos is really handy. Also as a new player the videos were also really beneficial in getting to grips with the game, as like me at the beginning some people have no one to teach them.

A well managed, modern forum with current content that is an easy accessible 'one stop shop' is a must frankly, and even though its much loved (I think?) the Yahoo group should be migrated here...

All I can do is report on my own direct experience, which is that I was a little put off by the forum, and I also routinely have to supply people with links to really common CoC items via facebook (updated force ratings) which should be at the top of this page but aren't.

I like having a thriving and growing community of new younger players (under 50!) and having joined up thinking and a consistent product is great value in this regard....lots of people DO come form the GW / BA background and would enjoy a different game, yet if not from a more 'traditional' wargaming background can be easily put off before having a chance to develop it. This hobby needs to appeal to younger players, it doesn't need to be shiny with lasers, but a slightly more modern approach to online presence goes a LONG way...I know time and resource are tight, so a nice clean simple forum is all that's needed.

I'm just as interested in painting guides actually as well as the difference between whether a M1919A4 is a MMG or a LMG....and would love to do demo videos if I had time.

But what really matters is that sticky content is, current, relevant and commonly asked for.....four year old stickies to slightly confusing (to the new player) lists isn't great when what you really want is the arsenal and updated ratings.

Chaingun

Post by Chaingun »

Hi I’m new to both Chain of Command and Sharp practice since watching the videos on BoW. I agree with previous comments that there is not a lot of coverage on both these games on YouTube and so to see Rich putting on these games was first class.

Thanks must go to Rich for bringing me as view to feel as though I was actually there rolling the dice and joining in with the banter. I too would love to see more of these videos on YouTube as they are both very interesting and entertaining.

As for searching the forums I’ve not done that yet as I’ve only scratched an itch getting both the rules, figures to come and then learn the games.
https://battlebunkerblog.com Wargaming for fun :D

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

I've tried to stay clear of this thread for a number of reasons.

But obviously failed. :roll:

My take is that if you think something is missing, do it. If things need to be changed, change it.

There is no point finger pointing at TooFatLardies as though the attitudes and actions of this community is controlled by them to any great extent. We have the only forums (here, on Facebook, and on Yahoo) which have constant active interaction and input from the prime movers of the game that we play. This is an incredible and unique situation, and one which those of us who have been hanging around for any length of time really cherish and appreciate. But none of them determine how we choose to play or promote our game, any more than their opposite numbers in other companies do theirs'.

Comparing the game and its attendant community to another is an exercise in futility. There are vast differences in ages, aims, real life experiences and motivations between the various communities, although I'm not going to waste time and energy by engaging in a point for point dissertation on these. Those of us who prefer one but occasionally play the other are all too aware of them already.

And yes, this is not the world's best forum in terms of mechanics, but it is the one that we have got and it is a massive step up on a bucket load of others on which I have spent time and emotional energy in times past. I have never met most of the regulars on here, but I do like them a lot (universally). And for all its clunkiness, this forum meets practically all the requirements to further fuel my passion for Chain of Command. It's just a matter of using the tools you have and getting on with it.

My own perspective is that, as a community, we could do with films of games. But that's not Richard's problem, it's mine (and coincidentally, my 'real' name is also Richard). So my solution is simply to raise some platoons, make some terrain, co-opt my resident tech guy to set up a site and organise the process of filming (and editing), then play some games and eventually post them on line. I've been working steadily on that project for about a year now, and will be hitting the "make some terrain" stage some time in December. I am hoping to get some content up and running by about mid 2018.

It's not a quick process, but it is a process currently in train. I love this game and the community that it seems to attract, and I'd like both to prosper and thrive. But I really see no profit from kicking and screaming instead of getting up and doing, which is where I am heading right now.

So, my advice is simple. Just do it.