Beasts of Lard!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Captain W Martin

Beasts of Lard!

Post by Captain W Martin »

http://www.beastsofwar.com/chain-of-com ... tion-orne/

Lets spread this far and wide......perhaps a good opportunity to have a 'Spring clean' of the stickies and make the FAQ, CoCulator, Consolidated Arsenal and importantly the revised force rating really obvious?

andysyk

Re: Beasts of Lard!

Post by andysyk »

Unfortunately COC doesn't lend itself to the masses, the above things are not really very assessable and the CoCulator is frankly a nightmare to the uninitiated.
Bolt Action is very successful, its simpler and people can tinker easier.
It is not accurate but...........
There are virtually no COC game battlereports on YouTube but hundreds if not thousands of BA.
BA is a package you buy the rules, you buy a starter army, source book and add to it.
COC .....you have to choose a figure supplier, do a little research, (somebody has been on the forum lately, very keen but doesn't get half the rulebook)etc

Captain W Martin

I agree with some of the above.....but Arsenal and revised force listing should be visible to anyone looking at the CoC page.

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

Yes, there should be a support download page linked in big shiny letters, not disagreeing, it should be better pushed.

Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

I guess it's the difference between wanting to play a period wargame and wanting to play a game. I've found BA tends to attract older GW players who fancy a but of historical and the way the rules and lists are written falls well into their comfort zone.

Having watched the game on Beasts of War, the guys clearly had plenty of fun but forgot a few things along the way, especially Rich who should know better :)

One thing I noticed though was that Rich said the patrol markers must move the full 12" whereas the rulebook says they move up to 12". That's quite an important distinction. Has there been a ruling on this that I've missed?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nope
p 12
The player moves one of his Patrol Markers up to 12”, whilst ensuring
that it remains within 12” of at least one other friendly Patrol Marker.

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG »

andysyk wrote:Unfortunately COC doesn't lend itself to the masses, the above things are not really very assessable and the CoCulator is frankly a nightmare to the uninitiated.
Bolt Action is very successful, its simpler and people can tinker easier.
It is not accurate but...........
There are virtually no COC game battlereports on YouTube but hundreds if not thousands of BA.
BA is a package you buy the rules, you buy a starter army, source book and add to it.
COC .....you have to choose a figure supplier, do a little research, (somebody has been on the forum lately, very keen but doesn't get half the rulebook)etc
I must say that has NOT been my experience at all.

Yes BA has been successful but so is CoC. Having introduced a number of people to CoC in recent times and having watched and participated in the BA V2 I must confirm that CoC is much simpler to play and understand. What I then see is that players see the subtle parts of CoC. They see that when they master these issues they know they will be GOOD at the game.

BA V2 rules are now much larger than CoC, this is complicated by multiple new rules and packs which casual players do not own or are surprised by during a game. CoC additional material is ALL free. In this way it is also cheaper to get into.

Yes some people do find getting to some historical detail a bit difficult. BUT clearly if someone wants to start there are a number of lists ready to go and often people ready to lend them a spare Pl to learn. For everyone that struggles there are multiple people who comment that they find the help and support of the forums very welcoming.

I would suggest that people who love GW stuff and are looking for the next iteration to exploit might NOT be the best audience for CoC. The people who get it are other historical gamers who are looking for a good playable set of WW2 skirmish rules.

As has been proven a number of times in Australia and most recently at MOAB, CoC can be easily played in a convention context. Most games were over in about 3hrs and with done of the angst I have witnessed in similar BA events.

CoC is a good product and BA is losing its way I feel.
There's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore. ... Neil Armstrong

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

What Steve said.

He and I are very successfully introducing this into our gaming club at the moment, in a gaming environment that has flirted on two separate occasions with the other game before giving up on it. We're finding that new players are picking up the fundamental structure and systems of Chain of Command very quickly indeed, and are then embracing the great quest to absorb its tactical subtleties and nuances.

We were also both participants in John Bond's MOAB extravaganza, which showed how well the game translates into a Tournament environment where the underpinning Lardies' philosophy is kept firmly focused front and centre at all times.

Playing the period rather than the rules is proving very highly appealing and sustainable where we congregate on long weekends and our regular Friday nights.

:mrgreen:

Captain W Martin

^^

Totally agree

I just don't think its worth the comparison tbh however.

I'm very grateful for BA getting me back into hobby after 15+ years out. (incidentally I really fancy playing the tweaked K47 rules which rumour has is the best version of the game!).

BA is very handy for that easy pick up and play game that has a limited duration and needs very little investment pre-game, where as for me there needs to be a bit more pre-mediation to get the most of a CoC game....and you aren't getting the best of the game until you play a campaign.

The Beasts video will be so so handy to show new players and will deal with a lot of the barriers to take up of CoC, but a small effort on the forum page (where people are being actively directed) will also help.

Make it current, relevant and all the stuff people need / ask as new players really easy to find (A 4 year old thread about Spanish Civil War lists didnt really convey the right message to me when I first started lurking on the forum - it should be there no doubt but perhaps not a sticky at the top of the page?)

Seret

Post by Seret »

Captain W Martin wrote:^^
Make it current, relevant and all the stuff people need / ask as new players really easy to find (A 4 year old thread about Spanish Civil War lists didnt really convey the right message to me when I first started lurking on the forum - it should be there no doubt but perhaps not a sticky at the top of the page?)
Agreed. It should absolutely be in the downloads section of the Blog (and it is) but I'm not sure it needs to be a sticky. Ditto Abyssinia. These are pretty niche interests, if anything should be sticky it's things like:
  • FAQs and Errata (and kept current!)
  • Updated force ratings
  • Consolidated Arsenal
  • CoCulator (this is there, but needs a massive cleanup)
  • Army Lists (needs updating!)
  • Links to most important resources (ATSE, BigCoC, list of Pint Size campaigns)
These are the things we're continually directing newbies towards both here and on the Facebook group, so they clearly could do with being more prominent.

I actually think the "Free Downloads" section of the blog needs a bit of attention, too. Right now it's just got all content for different games mixed in together. That's fine if someone is surfing on in from Google, but if they're browsing the site they'll have to sift through every page looking for what they want. Organising it by game would help.