Question re- Platoon force rating in campaign games

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

chris cornwell

Question re- Platoon force rating in campaign games

Post by chris cornwell »

Apologies if this has been asked before:

1:
Should platoon force ratings be re-calculated from 1 campaign game to another?
Eg: platoon A is +3 Platoon B is 0, after game 1 casualties if one used the coculator Platoon A would drop to +1 - Platoon B stays the same.
Should this be reflected in game 2?

2: Similar situation if running a Big CoC campaign with an armoured platoon

Armoured Platoon A and B each have 4 tanks = +5. After losses in game 1, which in a campaign context are not replaced this drops to say, 2 tanks = +3. Platoon B stays the same.should the platoon force rating be adjusted for game 2?
Cheers Chris

Peter

Re: Question re- Platoon force rating in campaign games

Post by Peter »

In principal no: that's the price you pay for losong men from a core platoon.

Peter

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

Thanks, that's what I thought...but it could become a bit brutal with the Big CoC armour...but, I'll be running that as an umpire, so can always take pity if it gets too extreme.
cheers chris

Seret

Post by Seret »

One caveat I'd mention for force ratings and BigCoC is that the table and force balancing notes in the BigCoC book don't work if you've got uneven numbers of platoons.

See here and here for some of the previous discussion and suggested solutions.

You can use force ratings to set the support levels for your scenarios, but they don't change as you go along due to casualties. You wouldn't really want them to either; besides being more admin you want taking casualties to be really bad. Under ATSE if you take high losses you'll not only have fewer bodies but you'll also start to get force morale penalties! Offsetting the casualties by changing force ratings (and therefore increasing support levels) kind of goes counter to that.

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

Yes, I just wanted to be sure.
The Game(s) I'm planning will be even numbers - don't want to get too complicated at first-
I probably will introduce the option for entire Platoon replacement for the later games, with appropriate benefits/penalties, the beauty of it being a one off umpire run set of games will be that players won't know all the information (particularly for their opponents) in advance.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Chris,
One trick I pulled as umpire in our multi-player Club campaign was to leave open the possibilty of armour reinforcements being available later in the campaign depending on circumstances and what was theoretically happening elsewhere. So the US players, who had been getting a beating,got some Shermans while the Germans got empty promises as was entirely appropriate for the time period. :-)

John

Seret

Post by Seret »

I like it John! Both totally historical and a good laugh.

You could also allow armoured platoons to get any abandoned vehicles back if their side wins the game.

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

Yep, pretty much where I was going... something like the Germans know they have 1 or 2 tanks back in the workshops, but don't know when they will get them. Whoever holds the field can get back (eventually) whatever is not destroyed...British can always replace any losses, but perhaps for each tank they refit, the delay allows the Germans an entrenchment (or some-such).
Somewhat re-assuring to discover, I've been coming up with ideas for this over the last couple of weeks. Today I downloaded the Martlet PSC....and found I'd not come up with much that Rich hadn't already thought of! ...Which is kind of nice, but I need to think of a few twists

Seret

Post by Seret »

You can get plenty of armour in Martlet even without going for BigCoc. We had games with 4-5 AFVs on the table just using the normal rules.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

We found in 29 Lets go 3 tanks work better than 1 or 2 due to the SL. You just cannot roll enough 3's for 2 vehicles and infantry let alone 3 or 4 not in a platoon/troop structure.