Panzergrenadier force level

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Panzergrenadier force level

Postby Truscott Trotter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:06 am

I think this was discussed awhile ago but cannot find it in the FAQ Errata thread or document
The book had the PG's with a force level of +1 on p 84, but the example on P.80 gives them a force level of +5 - which given the 2xLMG seems more reasonable, esp compared with FJ'ss at +4
Has this been added to the errata?
Truscott Trotter

Re: Panzergrenadier force level

Postby EvilGinger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 am

The figure in the example is intended to be nothing more than an example and does not refer to any Panzer grenadier list. I think the rating of +1 works mostly because the Panzer grens whilst possessing an unpleasant amount of fire power do tend to be rather static and over reliant on it. They can be countered by smoke & good fire and movement tactics from British & commonwealth forces and out shot by US forces. The FJ'ss rating is more to do with them being elite for the most part than what they are armed with.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....
EvilGinger

Postby Truscott Trotter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 am

Ummm the FJ's elite are +10 the regular ones are +4 and have the same TO&E as the PG's but with an EXTRA SL. So a difference of +3 for having an 2iC?
Truscott Trotter

Postby Tom Ballou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:32 am

Panzergrenadiers are brutal. Toughest in the game no doubt.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"
Tom Ballou

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:Ummm the FJ's elite are +10 the regular ones are +4 and have the same TO&E as the PG's but with an EXTRA SL. So a difference of +3 for having an 2iC?

Along with training and mindset. The difference is valid for those points alone. Until you get to the FJs in the last part of the Italian campaign, which were just dudes assigned to the unit without the benefit of the intangibles involved.
John Thomas8

Postby barriemac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:58 am

I think the Gamer playing the Panzergrenadiers will dictate how static they are or not, the fact is disregarding the SMGs of the Section Commanders they have 50% more firing dice than an English Section 21 as opposed to 14. granted a few less figures to absorb shock and casualties and no Sgt but a Force level of one seems too low and perhaps the +4 of the Fjs is closer to the mark. We played it at +5 last night and twice before each time the Panzergrenadiers were more than competitive.

Cheers Barrie
barriemac

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 am

The next time I take a PG platoon out in public for CoC, their opponent is getting a stonk. They're just have too many dice for an average player to cope with straight up. Players that know tactics can beat them without it, but Joe picked up from the table reading a comic book, not so much.
John Thomas8

Postby hedgehobbit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:31 am

EvilGinger wrote:I think the rating of +1 works mostly because the Panzer grens whilst possessing an unpleasant amount of fire power do tend to be rather static and over reliant on it.

Why would they be any more static than any other platoon? I can't find any movement or firing restrictions on LMGs. They can maneuver as well as any rifle team. Am I missing a rule somewhere?
hedgehobbit

Postby John Thomas8 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:40 am

Historical setting. Late war PGs were back peddling and fighting in static positions all over the place. There's historical tactics, but they're accompanied by historical settings, too.
John Thomas8

Postby hedgehobbit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 am

They are back peddling because they are outnumbered. Giving them a higher Force Rating would better reflect this.
hedgehobbit

Next

Return to Chain of Command