Commando List

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

NTM

Re: Commando List

Post by NTM »

Here's what it had to say about K guns

"Heavy Weapons Troop - the light weapons of the Assault Troops were partially augmented by the three 3-inch mortars and three medium machine guns of the Heavy Troop's two Sections.  The machine gun used was initially the heavy Vickers, but this was replaced in some formations by the Vickers K Gun which was far lighter and mobile, but could not provide the same kind of sustained firepower as its predecessor."

I believe though they were pool weapons issued as and when required e.g. 4 Commando issued them 2 per troop for D-day.

sackatatties

Post by sackatatties »

Thanks NTM, that sounds probable.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Slightly OTT, were the Commandos in Italy part of RM Commandos or Army Commandos? I imagine the change to the RM org came about as a result of the experience in Italy where their organisation was found to be lacking in conventional warfare.

NTM

Post by NTM »

They were all army in the Med iirc

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

RM Comma does were in Far East not sure about Italy will check later. Mind you there are some good Commando sites that have unit histories for most troops.

EDIT No 40, 41 and 43 RM Commandos fought in Italy at least. Along with quite a few SAS and PPI.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Interested in the Commandos in Tunisia in 1943. Does anyone make either a 2" mortar with crew or a Boys anti-tank rifle. TIA

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Warlord have plastic commandos with a 2" mortar just about to undercoat one atm also have one from Artizan.
Boys you would need to convert either from Warlord BEF metal fig. Or The Assault Group make separate Boys IIRC

EDIT If you want to use the pre 1943 uniforms with cap comforter and not Beret then Wargames Foundry do some nice figs and Black Tree will mix as will Artizan

NTM

Post by NTM »

I'd suggest using these from Perry for Tunisia

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Those Perry figures would suit summer Italy as well. I was watching a doco on the SAS origins earlier tonight and many of them were still in short and shirtsleeves.

NTM

Post by NTM »

My Tunisia/Sicily/Italy British are all in shirtsleeve order although 15mm rather than 28mm.