Blocking entry roads with mine fields

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Derek H

Re: Blocking entry roads with mine fields

Post by Derek H »

In response to a request from John that he comment on this thread. Richard has posted the following on the Chain of Command Facebook group.

All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Truscott Trotter wrote:And if je is not a member of that august group?
I appreciate that time moves in mysterious ways in Tasmania, TT, but it's now September up here on the Big Island. :roll: :ugeek: :D

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

Many Thanks Rich and John. I can now move to planning without having to spend all my supports on mine clearing teams! In his defense, my opponent is a lawyer by trade and a tournament player (FoW) - he sometimes has difficulty transitioning to the "Play the period, not the rules"!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

A lawyer and a FoW tourny player ?
Ye gods does he also torture kittens on his spare time? :D

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Aah, all is now clear. Glad to help.
Maybe next time you should remind him that even the Supreme Court has opinions, it's only because the system chooses to accept them that they become law!! :-)

Good luck with the game.
John

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

I'm not sure Mr Clarke has that correct... it's not what he wrote on page 51 of the rule book!
Page 51 Chain of command rulebook wrote:The entry point for any vehicle will be on a friendly table edge, as opposed to the Jump‐Off Points. Where a single road is present, this will be the entry point; where multiple roads are present, the player may choose which one he will use as his entry point. Only one vehicle may arrive at a table entry point in a single Phase. Vehicles crewed by Green crews must deploy within 4” of the entry point; regular crews within 6” and Elite crews within 9”.
That means with a 6" minefield it's impossible to bock a road. Even with 2 minefield you can't as the road is going to be at least the width of the vehicle.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Rich,
I would agree with you that in practice the width of the road is an important factor in all this.

Strictly speaking with a narrow road you could use 2 minefields to cut the available deployment point down to half a vehicle width on either side which it could be argued was insufficient room to bring it on. Add a road block to the minefields and it certainly becomes possible to block the AFV entry.

Rich C's answer confirms the principle that if a road entry point is made unavailable then the armour can come on elsewhere which helps avoid such sterile debates.

John

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

True. But I felt that the basic premise of the 4/6/9" deployment had been overlooked by most posters....

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

Please look at the map for Flanking St Germain-Du-Pert in 29, Lets Go. the road entry shows the road edge at less than 1" from the table edge and the center of the road 2". Being a retired engineer, I scale all the maps to get the layout correct. I also use the center line of the road as my measurement point for entering the table off road. As it is the only point we can be sure of because of minor undulations and road widths. So a 6" wide mine field placed against the table edge in this case and another placed adjacent to it cover 12" of ground with the road entering at the 2" point or 10 inches denied me on the other side of the road center line. Of course one could place the minefields corner to corner which gives them a spread of a little less than 17"! If one was icky about allowing the tanks cross where the points meet, one could slide the alongside each other an inch or two in the center, reduce the coverage to 16" or so and still block! Dick Bryant

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Sure you can manufacture stuff that would block the road but Rich C has said that makes it unavailable... so you can enter anywhere! That is a huge advantage to your enemy!

Would your armour really not turn up because of a marked 100x50 yard minefield on the road and a clear path around it?