Recommended Required Reading

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Burtsp

Recommended Required Reading

Post by Burtsp »

Hello

Been a forum lurker for awhile and a CoC player for about a year now. I read through the "At the Sharp End" Campaign supplement and it really fueled my interest in putting together my own campaign.

Can anyone recommend a good source/ internet site for books and publications covering small unit actions from the personal perspective? I am interested in both western and eastern campaign from either the axis or allied perspectives.

I have an account with battlefieldhistorian.com so maps are covered. I will consider purchasing once I nail down a particular action.

Even a good one off book of a personnel account, etc. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I have played WW2 games since Avalon's ASL, too many rules sets to name. I have found none better than CoC. Just my opinion.

Thanks

Sean

Steve McG

Re: Recommended Required Reading

Post by Steve McG »

Sean,

I would start with this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4593&hilit=Fraser

That has heaps and should lead to where you might go next

Steve
There's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore. ... Neil Armstrong

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

Take a look at stuff from Leaping Horseman books. I don't think any of it is really small unit history (though the diary of an infantryman at Stalingrad might be close) but there is lots of information at a small enough level to generate some nice campaigns.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Take a look at *Tank-Fighter Team* by "Robert Gerard"-a pen name. The author, a Frenchman, was studying in the U.S. in 1939 and returned to France. He went to Cavalry School and was posted as second-in-command to a Groupe Franc. The book recalls his experience as his unit fought itself to exhaustion in June 1940. I'll bet that someone with the gift could make a Pint-Sized Campaign out of it.

Burtsp

Post by Burtsp »

Thanks all for the suggestions and that thread link is great, my forum search attempt was an abysmal failure.