General scenario / campaign / list questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Captain W Martin

General scenario / campaign / list questions

Post by Captain W Martin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm gearing up to start a few campaigns soon and am VERY excited so had a few questions, and no doubt more will arise.....

1) 'A Fighting Withdrawal' (Summer 2016 special)
Pg.80
Gives that the Germans roll needing a 4+ to add one more section at the end of each turn. It also states the BEF have a free prep bombard.

Neither side has any support points and irrespective of the result the scenario is only played once.

How does this work?

I think that to bring on either of the SL OR the 5cm mortar I can deploy them as per normal using the prep bombard rules in turn 1 , but can only get a SECTION on each following turn with a 4+ roll

Is this right?

2) 'A Fighting Withdrawal' (Summer 2016 special)
pg.82-83

I know Platoon force ratings and support costs / options can be 'tweaked' on a scenario based basis to help the designers intentions.

The revised BEF and Heer rating are -3 and +3

The campaign gives them at -2 and +3

of note is that the BEF LOSE a SL and the Heer GAIN a SMG for each section JL.

Is this taken into account or a concern, or do we just play the campaign RAW?

It's no biggy but I'm keen to draw on any experience and its going to be hard work for the BEF as is, so want to make it as fair as we can.

Thoughts welcome as ever!
Last edited by Captain W Martin on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truscott Trotter

Re: General scenario / campaign / list questions

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Might help if you were to tell us which publication you are referring.

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 pm

The Summer 2016 special

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Any thoughts on the Platoon force rating question above from the 'Fighting Withdrawal' campaign?

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 pm

Bump!

Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 am

Very similar questions were asked on the CoC Facebook group. If I recall correctly:-

1) The Prep Bombardment only affects the second SL and 5cm mortar Team. The Germans can only bring on a section at the end of a Turn. End of turns don't happen very often; use of a CoC Die or rolling three or more sixes with your Command Dice. NB The British also have an Adjutant attached.

2) Richard usually changes details like this due to the circumstances of the action. Another example is in Kampfgruppe von Luck Pint-sized Campaign. The British paras only have five command dice. This is due to the disruption they have suffered due having only recently dropped into the area. Finally, I don't think any of the scenarios make use of the relevant Force Ratings.

Hope that helps a bit.

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Much obliged.

Any ideas on lists with the Senegalese Tirailleurs in?

Any suggestions for campaigns Pint Size or otherwise for French troops?

Captain W Martin

Post by Captain W Martin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 am

3) 'A Fighting Withdrawal' (Summer 2016 special)
pg.82-83

Scenario one states 'The Germans begin the game with just two squads on the table and the Platoon Commander'

Given the scenario restrictions about further deployment, this suggests to me they actually start the game on board (as per normal JOP deployment) do you think this is correct?

4) 'Bloody Bucket'

a) Using the Blitzkrieg rule are the members of a platoon wounded in a battle but available for the next battle released for a follow up attack as per the special rule? (no I think)

b) If the Germans lose a follow up battle under the Blitzkrieg rule do the lose the initiative?

c) At what point do I need to declare the possible 2 attacks available a turn? A turn in the campaign is a good few hours, can you assess and then declare as the turn unfolds?

Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 am

3) 'A Fighting Withdrawal' (Summer 2016 special)
pg.82-83

Scenario one states 'The Germans begin the game with just two squads on the table and the Platoon Commander'

Given the scenario restrictions about further deployment, this suggests to me they actually start the game on board (as per normal JOP deployment) do you think this is correct?

I take that as meaning that the two squads and the platoon commander start the game on the table.

ocollens

Post by ocollens » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:01 pm

4) 'Bloody Bucket'
a) The way I read it, you get what is available at the end of the battle you have just won. So troops 'killed' are not available because you have not diced for them. You also get what is left of your support.
What is more problematic is what happens to damaged things. I don't see how an immobilised tank can move to another battlefield, nor replace a damaged gun in the short time available.
What about troops that have routed off table? Do they recover their bottle? Do they have time to change their trousers?

b) Yes, it says to retain the initiative the Germans have to win both battles.

c) Most campaign turns represent two hours, though some are longer. If I was playing you I would allow you to decide on your second attack after you have seen how the first was going - after all, the attacks have to be on different tables. Others may think differently.