Strengthening defences in Bloody Bucket

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

ocollens

Strengthening defences in Bloody Bucket

Post by ocollens » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 pm

As I understand it, a platoon may strengthen defences instead of moving. So it must have the initiative, I assume.
My questions are these:
1. Does a nationality having the initiative then apply to all its platoons?
2. Are strengthened defences confined to or in addition to the limits in the rules (4 entrenchment, 4 wire, 2 minefields per table)?
This is obviously quite important for this campaign but forgive me if I've missed something.

Andrew

davemunson

Re: Strengthening defences in Bloody Bucket

Post by davemunson » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:54 am

Andrew. I am researching prior to Bloody Bucket in November and I have a similar question - but different. My view for your Q2 is that the limit in the core rulebook is for one off games and the initial deployment. I will allow those limits to be breached in a campaign when strengthening defences. I have interpreted the strengthening defences rule from ATSE in a slightly different way as it is written in the context of a ladder campaign where the front line ebbs and flows, which is not how Bloody Bucket works. I will only allow US platoons that have already fought and defended their position to strengthen defences - by one element each campaign turn whether they have the initiative or not. Equally, a German platoon which successfully wins a battle and occupies the table and does not move off from it may also strengthen by one element a turn - but I wouldn't expect this to happen often if momentum is to be maintained

ocollens

Re: Strengthening defences in Bloody Bucket

Post by ocollens » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Agree with both your points. But I have a further question - what about the extra support the US gets during the course of the game?
I think it reasonable that as long as Consthum is held and off-map supply is viable new defences can be created at locations 4,5, and 6 by paying points.
In the real war the 110th occupied pretty strong positions.

I am ready for a solo campaign but my mates keep wanting me put on games of SP (they are not fans of COC) so can't leave the table set up.