Soviet anti-tank rifle sections

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

ocollens

Soviet anti-tank rifle sections

Post by ocollens »

I can find no discussions of these formations,. How would you cost them? Soviets did not tend to use AT rifles in penny packets so the the single team is a bit irrelevant (except perhaps as part of an assault group - which is also not discussed AFAIK).
Costing them as 3 or 4 AT rifle teams plus a JL probably with a SMG would make them unhistorically expensive, as a support choice also I doubt whether they would really have acted as independent teams. The idea was a lot of fire at vision blocks etc to rattle German armour - one team could not do this effectively.

Captain W Martin

Re: Soviet anti-tank rifle sections

Post by Captain W Martin »

Find some historical guidance on the section / platoon organisation then use the CoCulator to work it out.

Or, if you can post the info here I can have a go, its likely to be fairly weedy I suspect and you would be better of buying multiple ATR from the support list at 2 points a pop.

Seret

Post by Seret »

For my Fortified Region list I included an AT rifle squad with three rifles and a JL on List 7.

Like you say though, I'm not really sure it's really worth that much. The Zis-3 costs less and would be more effective.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Like you say though, I'm not really sure it's really worth that much. The Zis-3 costs less and would be more effective.

I tend to agree there and think you will find buying 1 or 2 as support will be ample. Yes the Soviets used whole platoons or companies of them but they were supporting Regiments or battalions not platoons.

ocollens

Post by ocollens »

I am trying to play the period not the rules. Agreed there is a degree of artificiality in depicting units at this level but I feel that AT rifle teams would not have generally operated singly in the Red army, as opposed to those of other nations.
A Soviet motorised rifle battalion was supposed to have an AT rifle section from 1942 onwards but I have no idea how big this was.
There is a brief depiction of this sort of unit in the film Battle for Sebastopol (actually probably more ad hoc) when Lyudmila Pavlichenko is learning her art but I know we should not rely too much on films, even Russian films.

Seret

Post by Seret »

ocollens wrote: A Soviet motorised rifle battalion was supposed to have an AT rifle section from 1942 onwards but I have no idea how big this was.
Depends, going from Zaloga's "Red Army Handbook" a 1942 rifle battalion originally had a full AT rifle company with two platoons of 4 squads, each squad having two rifles. Later that year that changed to one platoon of three squads with three rifles each. There were also AT rifle companies in the division's MG and AT battalions, and I suspect these were handled differently. A rifle battalion might have been more likely to dole them out in smaller packets across their own area of interest, while the MG and AT battalions would have been more likely to commit them en masse to whatever point of interest division had decided to reinforce. The Soviets were bit on committing support (mortars, arty, AT guns, etc) in massive blobs to a point selected by somebody way up the food chain.

Motorised rifle brigades had an 18-rifle company, (2 platoons each three squads of three rifles would be my guess?) but later on the AT rifles seem to have been rolled into the rifle companies (3 rifles each) before the 18-rifle company pops back up again in '43.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

IIRC they used both. You had some at battalion level that were parcelled out and then some whole units to add - which could be kept or parcelled. FOW cover it well in their Soviet lists