Barbarossa Soviets - Rifle grenadier

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

esuhr

Barbarossa Soviets - Rifle grenadier

Post by esuhr »

Hi all

I was reading the entry for Soviets in Barbarossa, and checked this list.

SQUADS ONE TO FOUR
Serzhant, Junior Leader,  with rifle
RIFLE SQUAD
DP‐28 LMG
Two crew
Nine riflemen
One rifle grenadier 

My question to the community is regarding the last one.

One rifle grenadier - what is that? Similar to the french VB, or?

Hope you can help me clarify.

Seret

Re: Barbarossa Soviets - Rifle grenadier

Post by Seret »

Many nations included at least one guy in each squad who had an adapter on his rifle to fire rifle grenades. That list is just a bit more explicit about it.

He functions as a normal rifleman most of the time. If you want him to instead fire a rifle grenade you'll have to get a leader to order it using a command initiative.

Juan Mancheño

Post by Juan Mancheño »

I have had some problems about the presence of a rifle-grenadier in my platoon (and not only in every squad!), so I would like to see a note about their presence in the orders of battles.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Rifle grenades are like hand grenades, they're assumed to be generally available. In reality there was often only one rifle per squad fitted with the adaptor (or the right type of rifle in the US case), but you can just treat them like disposable AT weapons and not bother tracking which individual man has them.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Here are my rules for the Soviet rifle grenade as used in our Winter War campaign:

RIFLE GRENADES

The only rifle grenade used in WoNS is the Soviet Dyakonov system launcher which fires the VDG1930 grenade. The system is different from the later types covered by CoC rulebook in several ways, using regular rifle ammunition instead of special cartridges and a time-detonated grenade. The Djakonov launcher can only be attached to the standard Soviet model 1891-30 rifle. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ejuhola/7.62/djakonov.html

Rifle grenades may only be fired when an individual man is commanded by a Leader using a Command Initiative. An activated Leader who is attached to his men or within command range of them may, therefore, use one Command Initiative to instruct troops to get a Unit which is not Tactical or on Overwatch to fire a single rifle grenade [4.5.3].

Rifle grenades are slow to load and thus a given grenadier is unable to fire a grenade on consecutive Soviet phases [WoNS]. Rifle grenades are considered to be plentiful but a grenadier will run out of them if he rolls two 1s on his to hit dice [WoNS].

A Pinned Unit may not use any of its rifle grenades [14.5]. A pinned rifle grenadier team may still use its rifles to shoot bullets at 50% reduction to its firing dice [WoNS].

The Djakonov VDG1930 grenade has Firepower 2 [Table Four Master Arsenal Table].
The Djakonov VDG1930 grenade can be shot in indirect manner 18-60" as Effective range [Table Four Master Arsenal Table] and 61-79" as Long Range (2d6, as Effective but at -1 to Hit) and 80-315" as Extreme Range (1d6, as Effective but at -1 to Hit) [WoNS]. All indirect fire must be done within reasonable LoS of the firer [WoNS].
The Djakonov VDG1930 grenade can also be shot as a direct fire munition at ranges of 0"-12" as Close Range and 13-24" as Effective Range. In this case the grenade must be fired at a target which is or is near something (house, trees, vehicle etc.) which will stop a 360 gram projectile travelling at perhaps 70 meters per second [WoNS]. That target is then for the purposes of being hit considered to be Regular [WoNS].

When fired directly the grenade can be targeted at medium apertures such as doorways or windows but then only 1d6 is rolled To Hit and the target is considered Elite [WoNS]. Also small apertures such as bunker firing apertures can be targeted within 6" and the target hit on a 6 [WoNS].

Regardless of the number of successes on the Roll to Hit table, a given rifle grenade can only hit its target once [WoNS]. In addition the rifle grenade must be able to penetrate its target in order to cause damage (i.e. a grenade hitting the top of a concrete bunker will cause no harm to its occupants) [WoNS].

Because the VDG1930 is time-detonated like a hand grenade it does not reduce cover by one level when calculating the effect of any hits [9.1.5, WoNS].

If the rifle grenade hits its target (and is judged to be able to penetrate it, where relevant) it will cause two hits if the target is in the open or in light cover. Roll for the effect of any hits as normal on the hit effect table [9.2.1].
If the target is in a confined space, such as in a building or bunker or trench, it causes three hits. Roll for the effect on the hit table, counting the target as being in the open [9.2.1].

Grenades only affect armored vehicles if they get inside the vehicle. If they do so, roll 3D6. Each 4, 5 or 6 counts as one net hit on the vehicle damage table. Roll as normal in the relevant table in Section 12, Fire Against Vehicles [9.2.1].