Polish army of France and other early war armies

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

aktr

Polish army of France and other early war armies

Post by aktr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:52 am

Hi,

I'm after a new army either Early or late war I cant decide
but the one thing is it has to be Obscure (as mandated by the Mrs)
See my "Getting a Brazilian" thread about my LW thoughts

By Obscure she means a nation that a person with a passing knowledge of history wouldn't know about

Anyway onto the point

How where the polish army of France equipped?
was it all new french stuff, old hand me down french stuff or did they have any polish stuff left. was it polish or french uniforms?

Also if you have any other suggestions for obscure early war armies (with figures available in 28mm) to use against blitzkrieg Germans i'm all ears

Cheers

Andy

Peter

Re: Polish army of France and other early war armies

Post by Peter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:13 am

Maybe look at the Narvik campaign. Norwegians, French Foreign Legion and Polish fighting (and equipped ) as French as well as British and Germans (including the crews of several destroyers, partially equipped from captured Norwegian stores).

Peter

aktr

Post by aktr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:16 am

Interesting ideas
What miniatures would you use for those forces?

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:50 am

Gorgon Studies do a range of 28mm Norwegians. Not sure about anyone else. http://www.gorgon-studios.com/index.php ... 1625182da9

Seret

Post by Seret » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 am

aktr wrote:
How where the polish army of France equipped?
Badly. They hadn't finished being equipped by the time the Germans invaded. They were rushed into action understrength and without enough time to complete conversion training. The French knew they were experienced, reliable troops and asked a lot of them. Too much really, some of them were thrown away needlessly trying to rescue hopeless situations.
was it all new french stuff, old hand me down french stuff or did they have any polish stuff left. was it polish or french uniforms?
No Polish equipment, all that had been lost. The men had had to make their way as individuals from where they were interned in Hungary to France. Some were new recruits from Poles living in France.

10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade in France they had R35 and R40 tanks and Renault UEs, these were actually brand new but as mentioned above they were kind of dropped on the Poles in a mad rush. There were also two infantry divisions, equipped and organised as per French TO&E. Uniforms were French, some even had to wear the old blue uniforms from WW1.

The Podhalians at Narvik could be an interesting unit. They fought in Norway, then got brought back to France and briefly fought there. Some were evacuated and formed the cadre of the Podhalian battalion of the 1st Polish Armoured Division. It's a similar sort of journey that the Black Brigade went on, and they both ended up part of the 1st Polish Armoured when it was formed in 42.
Last edited by Seret on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

aktr

Post by aktr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 am

Poles fighting in France wearing Horizon blue!
Now there is a temptation

Thanks for all the info

how would the poles have been organised - as per there old polish platoon structure or where they reorganised to be the same as the French?

PatG

Post by PatG » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:55 am

May '40 miniatures is doing early war Dutch in 28mm. They appear to only be on facbook at the moment - no website yet.

gsymko

Post by gsymko » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:52 pm

I use the Gorgon figures for the Narvik campaign. I'm thinking of doing a mini campaign for CoC. I've run several games with Norwegian, British, french foreign legion and poles. These are against Mountain troops and falschimjagers. Lots of fun. The only tanks were French.

I also have the Polish 10th Mech troops. Lots of fun to play. Thinking of a mini campaign surround the actions of the 10th mech as well.

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:05 am

The Norwegian campaign is a fascinating one and should provide for lots of interesting CoC scenarios even if the campaign as a whole only ended up being a foot note to the invasion of France.

Chris

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:01 am

aktr wrote:Poles fighting in France wearing Horizon blue!
Now there is a temptation
If you like playing French, which are is basically what they are. So not particularly obscure, per se.

I do think that the suggestions concerning the Norwegian campaign are absolutely spot on. And if you really want to do obscure, take a good long look at the Battle of Dombås, where the Norwegian 2nd Battalion of Infantry Regiment 11 completely defeated the pride of the Fallschirmjäger - 1st Company of the 1st Battalion of the 1st Regiment of the 7th Flieger Division - even though the latter came within a bull's roar of literally dropping on top of and accidentally capturing the Norwegian prime minister as he fled through that area.

:shock:
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill