Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

agent_pumpkin

Re: Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Haven't had a chance to do much more than glance though this, but it looks very good.

I'm currently running a non-ladder map campaign (pbem) and have done the same as Chris and allowed platoons to keep there surviving support. Instead of giving them so much each battle I gave them a set number of support points at the start. This was to be used for any support available and to call in replacements.
In addition players get more support points for achieving objectives.

Anyway, the point is carrying over support units works well for us. So far. ;)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Reading back on this post, I see reference to Italian Cavalry rules, can someone tell me what they are, please? The search engine is not the best on forums.
cstoesen wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:33 am
Thanks. I see your point on the bunker. I will revisit it and clarify it.

The rules for German cavalry should be similar to those for the Italians. I think that is what I probably used when playtesting this.

With the support options, I just added it as an optional rule. You don't have to use it if you don't like it. I figured most folks would not use it. It was something that I was tinkering with. My thought process was, "How often do troops receive all the support options that they want?" My answer was, probably not often. So I added the system to allow for some supports to just not show up. It was my first pass at the system. I kept it for the Kharkov supplement that I am working on. Since it happens before the game, I did not find it to be cumbersome but then again, that was just me. It's just an option that you can take or leave.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

I don't know what Chris was referring to there, but since he wrote that the 1940 Blitzkrieg supplement has come out and it contains the current rules on cavalry.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

In the Ustilug campaign for Table 1, the Germans as Attackers gain 5 support points for each game that is played for the table. Is that cumulative?

Note: I have given up on the campaign after 5 attempts at Table 1. I found that the support points do not favour an attacker, we didn't bother with the probability rolls as that really skewed the game and we weren't sure on how to apply the Green vs Regular appearances. On the latter, we discussed Green appearances as perhaps every 2 in 3 and were unsure whether supports were Green or Regular when being fielded to support Green or Regular.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

poiter50 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:55 am
In the Ustilug campaign for Table 1, the Germans as Attackers gain 5 support points for each game that is played for the table. Is that cumulative?
Yes, the way I read it is that the first time both sides get 1d6 support points (which have to be taken from Lists 1 to 3 in the confusing manner indicated in the rulebook). If the Germans fail, they get 1d6+5 for try number 2, and 1d6+10 for try number three.

Typically, supports in CoC are always Regular, which of course does not always make sense.