Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:01 am

Hi Chris
I understand the point of rolling for support - I think that's an OK idea as both sides have to do it I just thought one roll might be easier than 2 or 3?
As I never seem to end up with more than 3 support points if I have to roll for them its a moot point for me
Will look at the Italian Cav rules I think i have them somewhere but it might be an idea to add them to the pdf as they are not part of the MRB

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:47 am

I've got to say, I'm not convinced about both sides rolling for support either. It could be an interesting rule where one side was fighting in a very ad hoc fashion and you wanted extra rules to represent that. Maybe the Soviets were suffering from the element of surprise a bit so perhaps for them? But the Germans were making a deliberate attack which they'd had time to plan and rehearse.

Basically it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it's a good fit for all situations.

Couple of other questions:
    • *The "ten man rifle squad" in the Soviet list. I'm assuming this is a Green squad, as there's the option for a Regular one further down?
    • *German bicycle recon squads. It says "all are bicycle mounted", but I'm assuming they're actually on foot once on board? If they are cycling onto the board, how fast do they move?
I'm also curious about the rule allowing platoons to keep all their support over the first few games. How did that go down in playtesting? You could end up with some pretty big platoons by game 3 if casualties were light in early games.

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:54 am

My games tended to end up a bit bloody. Most support units did not survive. I will take it into consideration though.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Fair enough.

My thinking was that if you took a squad as a support you'd have a good chance of coming out ahead in manpower, since it's rare to lose more than ten men in a game. You'd have to lose 14 during the game to go into the next one more than ten men down. If you win with a healthy FM margin it's no unusual to suffer zero casualties. Probe games in particular can be relatively bloodless if the attacker sneaks in.

Just as a data point these are our casualties across Op Martlet recently:

Game 1: Brits 1 wounded. Germans no casualties
Game 2: Brits 1 dead, 1 wounded. Germans 5 dead, 3 wounded.
Game 3: Brits 3 dead, 2 wounded. Germans no casualties.
Game 4: Brits: 2 dead, 2 wounded. Germans 6 dead, 3 wounded.
Game 5: Brits no casualties. Germans not tracked.
Game 6: Brits 2 dead, 1 wounded. Germans no casualties.

So in a typical game we'll lose about 2-4 guys, with the worst case going up to about 8-9. Granted these are regular vs regular games and green troops would likely take more of a beating.

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:56 pm

I need to reconsider that. You make a good point.
Chris Stoesen
Nil Facilis Est

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi Chris,

I had a look at your pdf and I thought it was quite well done. I will leave the tactical details re the actual campaign structure to those who are smarter then me but I have a couple of comments re the production.

Core Army Lists: The link to the Soviet Forces is broken in the pdf. I think you are using the 1941 Barbarossa lists for both the Soviets and Germans. I would make this a little more clear in your army descriptions. I think I would have cut and pasted the two core platoons for the convenience of the players, but of course this is up to you. I know your supports are different.

Terrain Images: I really like these, what did you use to do them. I believe I would have put army symbols in the starting areas though to make it more obvious with some lines to indicate where the patrol markers start. I know this is redundant to your descriptions but I always feel a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Anyway in general I thought it was a great job and look forward to having a go.

John

ps I have a Winter War campaign half done and this is an impetus to me to push on.

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks. I have a copy of Campaign Cartographer that I did the scenario maps in. I am just not that good with the software yet. But I am learning. I will take that into account and probably add the base platoons to this with the next revision.
Chris Stoesen
Nil Facilis Est

Munin

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Seret wrote:Just as a data point these are our casualties across Op Martlet recently:

Game 1: Brits 1 wounded. Germans no casualties
Game 2: Brits 1 dead, 1 wounded. Germans 5 dead, 3 wounded.
Game 3: Brits 3 dead, 2 wounded. Germans no casualties.
Game 4: Brits: 2 dead, 2 wounded. Germans 6 dead, 3 wounded.
Game 5: Brits no casualties. Germans not tracked.
Game 6: Brits 2 dead, 1 wounded. Germans no casualties.

So in a typical game we'll lose about 2-4 guys, with the worst case going up to about 8-9. Granted these are regular vs regular games and green troops would likely take more of a beating.

Heh, I've had kind of the opposite experience. The first three games of the Sidi Regezh campaign:

Game 1: Brits 6 KIA, 3 wounded. Germans 9 KIA, 5 wounded, 4 captured/MIA, plus a wounded Lt
Game 2: Brits 6 KIA, 3 wounded. Germans 2 KIA, 1 wounded
Game 3: Brits 5(8) KIA, 3(6) wounded, (3) MIA. Numbers in parenthesis include casualties from the "extra section" the Brits brought as support. Germans no casualties (final FM difference of 8!)

The first game of our Kasserine campaign (though it should be pointed out that the Americans are Green in this campaign):
Game 1: Italians 5 killed, 3 wounded. Americans 10 KIA (including Lt), 5 wounded.

Most of the games we've played have been a bloodbath for at least one side, if not both.

bvera

Post by bvera » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:12 am

Just read it last night
Very interesting campaign
Time to undust those Warlord early Germans that I bought last year nad are somewhere in my lead pile
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks Benito.
Chris Stoesen
Nil Facilis Est