Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

cstoesen

Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Post by cstoesen » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:21 am

With the permission and blessing of Rich, I present to you the Action At Ustilug. It is a self Published pint sized campaign for Chain of Command covering the opening days of Operation Barbarossa. It features the attack of the German 289th Infantry Division against the Soviet 87th Rifle Division and elements of the 41st Tank Division. It is a half ladder campaign passing through the Ukrainian border town of Ustilug and on to a rail head beyond. The campaign comes in at 22 pages with the only graphics being the maps needed for the six scenarios. It definitely does not have the high quality production values that Rich puts into his but it is chock full of gaming goodness. For more information check out the link on my blog below. The price of the campaign is just $2.00 US.

http://cstoesen.blogspot.com/2016/08/ac ... -sale.html

Thanks,

Chris Stoesen
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

Truscott Trotter

Re: Action At Ustilug - Chain of Command Campaign

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks Chris $ sent

Seret

Post by Seret » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:01 am

Nice one, Chris! Good to see more Eastern Front content for the game.

I've got a question based on the quick skim through I've had so far. The notes on the troops available in each scenario seem to suggest that the campaign is designed to be used without ATSE. Is that correct?

Also, you're making the Soviets pay two support points for each entrenchment, that differs from the notes on single-team squads in the FAQ. Is that intentional?

I take it the lines around houses on the first few maps are a low wooden fence?

The Soviet machine gun bunker: is this a Maxim? List three seems quite cheap for a Maxim protected by a bunker, I was wondering if it was a DP instead?

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Let me see if I can answer your questions intelligibly.

#1 - Not sure what ATSE is. I tried Google but it came up with Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering. I don't think that is what you are asking. I am a bit slow this morning.

#2 - Yes it is intentional. At Ustilug they did not have much opportunity to dig in. The Soviet policy at the time was individual foxholes rather than a squad entrenchment. You can make a case for lowering the point values as the campaign wears on and they would have had more of an opportunity to dig. But in the opening hours, it should be more expensive. But that is just my take. I view the whole thing as a tool box. You can select the tools that are right for you and discard the rest.

#3 - Yes, those little lines are supposed to be fences. Sorry that was not more clear.

#4 - Trying to remember my thought process here. I think the cost was for the bunker alone and you had to get the maxim separately. You could just as easily put a squad in there.

Please let me know if that makes any sense.

Chris
Chris Stoesen
Nil Facilis Est

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm

ATSE = "At the sharp end"
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Ah, yes. It is subordinate to At the Sharp End. It is a great building block to work with.
Chris Stoesen
Nil Facilis Est

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks Chris for the quick send, looks good on a quick read, now to collect some more Russians including EW armour.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi Chris I haven't received my copy yet

EDIT Ooops found it in spam folder.
Thanks

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Interesting read Chris
I agree with Seret the entry on the BG bunker is not clear
It reads
Machine Gun Bunker with
Border Guards (5 men)

So it could be read as either
1.) A bunker with a MG and 5 BG crew
2.) A bunker that could hold an MG but has 5 BG riflemen in it
3.) An empty bunker that has a capacity of 5 men but they need to be BG

For 3 support points I would normally think it would be 3.) except there is no provision for 'buying' BG in the support points so maybe you meant 1 or 2/ I realise you can only select one of these anyway so maybe 3 points is fair for 1 or 2. Finally did you mean the BG to be diehards?

What rules do you recommend for the German cavalry? The only ones I have seen are for Italians or Soviets but I may have missed some

With regards to the multiple die rolls for certain support weapons - I do not see the point in them. The level of support is not linked to any other factors in the game (unless I have missed something) - you have stated you cannot swap the points to something else if you do not make the roll all you can do is continue to roll on decreasing chances withing the same support option. Would it not have been easier and cleaner just to work out the overall odds and give the player one roll to make?

Overall at first read it looks worth trying so I am keen to give it a go on the table top

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:33 am

Thanks. I see your point on the bunker. I will revisit it and clarify it.

The rules for German cavalry should be similar to those for the Italians. I think that is what I probably used when playtesting this.

With the support options, I just added it as an optional rule. You don't have to use it if you don't like it. I figured most folks would not use it. It was something that I was tinkering with. My thought process was, "How often do troops receive all the support options that they want?" My answer was, probably not often. So I added the system to allow for some supports to just not show up. It was my first pass at the system. I kept it for the Kharkov supplement that I am working on. Since it happens before the game, I did not find it to be cumbersome but then again, that was just me. It's just an option that you can take or leave.
Chris Stoesen
Nil Facilis Est