How many tanks

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Magpie

How many tanks

Post by Magpie »

I've only had 3 or 4 games to date.

I'm currently planning my purchases for a few different platoon and looking at how many tanks/vehicles I'll need.

Does anyone regularly take more than a single vehicle in a game ?
Not meaning Big CoC of course
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Wulf

Re: How many tanks

Post by Wulf »

I regularly take 2-3 vehicles, but rarely more than 1 tank - armoured cars, trucks, carriers, etc. Armour can platoon up to 3 vehicles, and I do try to shoehorn a couple of tanks in wherever possible - Pendraken are about to release a new 10mm scale T-35, and I'm buying 3...

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

In one of the games of Operation Martlet, I fielded three Shermans (well, two Shermans and one Firefly). The benefit to receiving that "Senior Leader if you field three tanks of the same type" (section 11.1.2, page 50, first paragraph: "Where three or more vehicles of the same type ...") was surprisingly effective. Those tanks were constantly in action so, yes, I think it's worth considering that possibility.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

We tend to keep vehicle numbers down but it all depends on taste. We find that with more than a couple of vehicles on the table the game devolves into an armoured game with infantry support rather than the other way round with the vehicles becoming the pivotal points. Horses for courses but we prefer the infantry-centric game.

Seret

Post by Seret »

It depends on what core platoon you're fielding. If you're using a unit with a high force rating then there's rarely any need for any type of vehicles.

If you're playing a low rated force, get them in.

MacASM

Post by MacASM »

Need a Thumbs Up icon.
I agree with Nick!
Per Ardua

PatG

Post by PatG »

The focus is on infantry. My current project is a Canadian Motor Platoon so I expect to have at least one Sherman if points allow and an M5 Halftrack

NickW

Post by NickW »

I'd also say it depends on time and place/theatre. A platoon of Italian L3's with an infantry squad in support, VS an Australian infantry platoon w. light support might make an interesting game. (Western Desert, 1940-'41.) A troop of Tigers VS an infantry platoon, maybe not so much.

YMMV - Me, I like using oddball equipment and match-ups.

Nick W.

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

PatG wrote:The focus is on infantry. My current project is a Canadian Motor Platoon so I expect to have at least one Sherman if points allow and an M5 Halftrack
I have a Motor Platoon as well so yeh it kind of makes sense that there should be maybe a few more vehicles around than usual
CoC Calculator (Excel spreadsheet to calc platoon and list levels)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvpypn0mi75y7 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Post additions/corrections to the CoC Calcualtor
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4423

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Never rolled enough to get even a single AFV in 2 years play unless it is Soviet Green plt
Bu tin the Pint sized campaigns you use 1-3