Brit Para platoon composition help

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Cerebus

Brit Para platoon composition help

Post by Cerebus »

Hi guys, quick question.

Thinking of putting together a Brit Para platoon and just needed to check the figure requirements. Could anyone correct if I've got the composition wrong please.

Sections 1-2:
LMG team: 3 figures , one with Bren, 2 with rifle
Rifle team: 6 figures, five rifle figures, one Sten figure

Section 3:
LMG team: 4 figures, one with Bren, 2 with rifle, one with sten
Rifle team: 4 figures, one with Bren, 2 with rifle, one with sten

Sniper team: One figure with rifle.

Loving the rules btw.

The Para platoon would have 2 sniper sections, yes? One attached to Section 3 and the other independent.

Archdukek

Re: Brit Para platoon composition help

Post by Archdukek »

Yes that's correct figure wise, but remember that the "2 rifles" in each LMG team are crew for the Bren and can't fire their rifles separately.
And yes it has 2 snipers available to it.

The "Rifle Team" in Section 3 is mislabelled. It is actually a second LMG Team with the same composition as the first team in the section.
John

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Thanks Archdukek. So each LMG team in Section 3 has effective firing of one Bren and one Sten only? Can the Sten man can transfer to the Bren if necessary?

Seret

Post by Seret »

Don't forget leaders! You'll need three section commanders, a platoon sergeant and an officer all with Sten or Thompson.

You also need a 2" mortar team, PIAT team (both 2 men) and the second sniper you mentioned.

I'd advise planning for a few basic supports at the same time: a mortar observer, medic and a spare 2" and/or PIAT would be good choices. You won't need lots of support because you'll almost always be rated much higher than your opponent.

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Yeah I know about the leaders Seret, it was just the workers I was confused about. Good idea about planning for supports teams although would a mortar observer be any more use than what you get from a regular teams LOS?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Cerebus wrote:Thanks Archdukek. So each LMG team in Section 3 has effective firing of one Bren and one Sten only? Can the Sten man can transfer to the Bren if necessary?
Yes he could as the JL can order any man in the section to join in with any team. He is really there to provide some close protection for the Bren team. Since casualties are inflicted on teams you can always choose when to remove him as a kill when necessary.

And yes the team would have 6, 8 or 10 firing dice depending on range - 6 for the Bren and 2 or 4 for the Sten.
John
Last edited by Archdukek on Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Cerebus wrote:Yeah I know about the leaders Seret, it was just the workers I was confused about. Good idea about planning for supports teams although would a mortar observer be any more use than what you get from a regular teams LOS?
I believe Seret is referring to an observer for the off table 3" mortars which you can take as a support choice. The regular teams in the platoon can't spot for them.

John

Seret

Post by Seret »

Cerebus wrote:Yeah I know about the leaders Seret, it was just the workers I was confused about. Good idea about planning for supports teams although would a mortar observer be any more use than what you get from a regular teams LOS?
Yep, as the Archduke says he's the observer for an off table platoon of medium mortars. It's one of the more useful support options and only requires you to paint up one figure so definitely a good one to sort early.

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Having re-read the rules and lists this afternoon, I realised that you were probably on about the off table 3" mortar - good idea. Now I've just got to find a good supplier of Para figures. Probably Peter Pig, but any other suggestions welcomed.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

In 15mm metals PP is best. In plastic I think PSC are doing some?
Mine are 28mm metal and a mix of Foundry Warlord Black Tree and Artizan.