Trees and line of sight

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

SteveBurt

Re: Trees and line of sight

Post by SteveBurt »

4thWelsh wrote:If a tree is not going to represent a tree, what's the point of it being on the table?
To make the table look nice. Same reason there might be cows in the field and ducks in the pond.

PatG

Post by PatG »

Why the tree or other non-functional thing? Why not just play DBA with flat felt terrain?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Hey Steve ducks as mobile cover why didn't I think of that?- Muscovy are bigger and offer more cover
But you would need prone figures to go tactical and hope the duck didn't move

4thWelsh

Post by 4thWelsh »

:| :| :| :|
Last edited by 4thWelsh on Fri May 13, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatG

Post by PatG »

I think the intent was less mocking and more friendly pisstaking. Lardies' rules on the whole are a lot looser than most miniatures rules and much less so than board wargames - it is part of the appeal. However, even on this board you will find the rules-as-written camp having it out with the rules-as-I-think-Rich-meant-them camp, and all points in between.

A big difference between the miniature wargame and the board wargame is the modelling and painting side of the former. Having an attractive table populated with terrain, buildings and scenic trivia like post boxes and ducks is as important a part of the hobby to many as having a map-accurate table.

In the end the answer to your question "How do people deal with line of sight between different elevations when trees are between firer and target?" (and pretty much anything else not covered in the rules-as-written) is how do you want to deal with it? Decide on that, or just roll a die, come to an agreement with the chap (or chapess) on the other side of the table and get on with the game.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

4th Welsh - how do you get to graves from tree foliage and height?
Its Friday evening so I will assume you are on the vino - otherwise I have no idea how you put that together...ITS A GAME NOT real life

EDIT Actually 4th Welsh I find that quite insulting to the guys who died for their country that you would try and use them to win a petty discussion about a wargame

Munin

Post by Munin »

4thWelsh wrote:But let us never forget what our games are really trying to represent :(
Your image is a perfect example of the fruitlessness of this discussion - some of those trees block my LOS to the headstones, yet others do not.

Seriously, just work it however you and your opponent see fit. I think the idea of trying to minutely represent reality from the "model's eye view" perspective is lost cause, because in many (most) cases we don't actually know what a particular battlefield actually looked like, whether the leftmost window was block by an elm or whether Sqt Warren, being a man of extraordinarily small stature, could actually completely hide behind that rock.

4thWelsh

Post by 4thWelsh »

Thankyou! a great answer;)

4thWelsh

Post by 4thWelsh »

Truscott Trotter wrote:4th Welsh - how do you get to graves from tree foliage and height?
Its Friday evening so I will assume you are on the vino - otherwise I have no idea how you put that together...ITS A GAME NOT real life

EDIT Actually 4th Welsh I find that quite insulting to the guys who died for their country that you would try and use them to win a petty discussion about a wargame
You can feel insulted as much as you like, it's your right.
I had family members killed in WW2 and i stand very proud of all who gave their lives.

MLB

Post by MLB »

While I've no issue with the idea of working it out with my opponent, what it does mean is that I need to read any scenario AAR very loosely, because one man's line of sight may not be another's. It means at times we can't always share a meaningful discussion about a given scenario as we may not be comparing apples with apples. I'm OK with this now I understand how this all works. Despite all the acrimony it was worth the discussion. Now I'm just going to go into the garden and look for the very large tree that used to be there, my wife says it's still there, but I can't seem to see it. What to do? :o
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top