Close combat result question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MLB

Close combat result question

Post by MLB »

We had an interesting close combat result in a recent game.

I had a Vickers MMG behind a hedge with a rifle team not too far away. A German section popped up and hit the rifle team with devastating fire that saw them break. This left the Vickers out on a limb and so my opponent decided to rush the MMG. He called for Handgrenaten, but rolled a 1 and so with the -1 for light cover he ended up with no grenades! The ensuing close combat was bloody - especially as the MMG enjoys the high number of dice for the first round. The net result was the British inflicted 5 dead and the Germans 4 dead. As the MMG team were already one man down, they were wiped out, but as the Germans had technically lost the close combat by +1 they were thrown back 6". This did seem a bit odd given they had just wiped out the MMG team, but I can see an argument where they still fall back to lick their wounds despite their apparent success. On the other hand there's an argument that they hold the ground they have just won given they have wiped out the enemy.

We played it as written in the rules and the Germans were thrown back 6". Is that how others would have played it?
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Munin

Re: Close combat result question

Post by Munin »

In the absence of any other direction, I'd say your solution is as good as any other. But I'd be equally tempted to just let the Germans claim it a victory and consolidate into the MMG's position.

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

I'd go with your result, they were driven off just as the last man fell.
The Germans were sufficiently mauled not to take advantage and fell back.
We've had similar with Elite Fins vs Soviets, the tiny finn units can really maul the soviet mobs but they run out of men first. They can hold the line at great cost!

Seret

Post by Seret »

I'd just play the rules as written in this case. The Germans still took a hell of a beating, so granting them a little breather seems fair. They're probably too busy dealing with all their wounded to be happy about wiping their enemy out.

gsmalcolmson

Post by gsmalcolmson »

Seems a bit of a pyrrhic victory... No wonder they would fall back and collect themselves.

siggian

Post by siggian »

And if you look at "killed" as both dead and incapacitated, the Germans falling back makes even more sense. They know they just had a bloody battle but they don't really know for sure whether any the enemy can still fight.

Peter

Post by Peter »

...and have their own injured to look after.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Hijacking to ask my own related question (which has probably been answered before):

In a close assault, the Germans inflict 6 kills on a British squad that is composed only of 4 rifles. In the comparison of "number of killed on both sides" (section 13.1.2), have the British suffered 6 kills (the number rolled) or 4 kills (the number of models removed)?
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Seret

Post by Seret »

I'd go for the number of kills rolled. Otherwise big units might never be able to beat very small ones, which seems weird.

crossby

Post by crossby »