Tactics

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MLB

Tactics

Post by MLB »

I've played four games so far, all the Probe scenario with support restricted to non AFV options. The games have always been very tough on the aftacker, as it seems they are faced with an almost matching force that is capable of holding off the attacker, who cannot bring enough force to bear on any single point. Both sides are fairly evenly matched, even when you allow for the higher support die roll for the attacker, and so the defender seems to prevail. Not sure if we are buying the wrong supports or just using poor tactics. We either end up in a long fire fight, or the attacker takes an awful lof of punishment every time he tries to push forward. Any thoughts on what we are doing wrong, or could do better?
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Seret

Re: Tactics

Post by Seret »

Could be lots of things. Make sure there's enough terrain that the attacker can move up in a reasonable amount of cover.

The attacker can do a few things to help them keep moving:
- Covering fire
- Smoke (don't forget smoke grenades!)
- Mortars
- Put your SLs in the right place
- Concentrate their attack on a narrow front. Try and trick the defender into spreading out, then punch hard in one spot. An extra squad can be handy for this.
- Focus on the objective, don't get drawn into firefights that won't help you get to that table edge.

Tactical movement can be useful if you're stuck in the open. It's extremely slow though, often it's better to run (especially if you can get out of sight at the end). The distance to the table edge should only be about 40", average dice could get a unit across that in four phases if they run.

You might want to revise that "no AFV" rule, too. Keep the defender guessing. Things like armoured cars are a real headache for the defender in a probe.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Yeah, this scenario is pretty much made for scout cars.

Peter

Post by Peter »

The patrol phase is key. I think I'm right in saying that the attacker can use three patrol markers rather than the four of the defender. That gives you more chance to race forward.

Peter

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

We always found the opposite, the defender has a tough time stopping a sneaky attacker.
That said it took us a very long time to get the finer tactical points of the patrol phase!

sackatatties

Post by sackatatties »

The worst thing about attacking is knowing that as soon as you expose your troops your opponent can deploy a high firepower unit or 2 and blow the heebygeebies out of you. You need to force the defender to deploy before you do and then shut him down with mortars, smoke or even covering fire. Then you can shift around to where its safe and make a run to the endzone.

You can also deploy 2 man scout teams (from your sections) from your JoPs to threaten his JoPs and force him to deploy. Scout cars are good for that as well. You need to be prepared to take a FM test or two when your scout teams get blown to crap. It's usually worth it though and scouts have been known to survive.....

Oh Scout teams are also good for shifting JoPs forward :)

Munin

Post by Munin »

I just played a Probe tonight and while it was a bloodbath, the attackers finally pulled out a win. I hosed up during the Patrol Phase, though. AAR to follow, probably tomorrow.

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 »

If you haven't read Rich's series on Tactics, it's highly worthwhile for general thoughts on what works for CoC, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1BY4c ... ByYzA/view,

Chris

4thWelsh

Post by 4thWelsh »

My best method when using my British is to have the leader spend points to have the Bren target the enemy's MG team. Knock these guys out and the way forward is a lot easier. I use this tactic against the twin MG armed Panzergrenadiers and find it a great way of giving him a headache. Take your time and study the table to find the best approach. Sit and have a cup of coffee before starting the game so you can make plans.

MLB

Post by MLB »

Peter wrote:The patrol phase is key. I think I'm right in saying that the attacker can use three patrol markers rather than the four of the defender. That gives you more chance to race forward.
Aah, missed that in the scenario description. So the advantage of three means you can move that much faster in the patrol phase, that makes sense.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top