Battle report The Scottish Corridor Campaign – Game 3

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

remgain

Battle report The Scottish Corridor Campaign – Game 3

Post by remgain » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:09 am

And so now we are at the third battle report of “The Scottish Corridor” campaign.

Here the previous battle reports:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3614
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3628

The scenario is “AN ENCOUNTER AT LE VALTRU” and, as the title says, is a Patrol encounter but with LOTS of supports: 16 points each!
Geografically is fought on the side opposite to that of the first battles, as the campaign represents a combined attack of 2 different SS Divisions from east and west, attempting to cut... the corridor!

As the fight will develop in a built up area, as supports, I decided for 2 addictional Pzgrenadier squads @ 5 points each, another Senior Leader (2), an adjutant (1) and… a flamethrower team (3) that would be very useful against hard cover and, who knows?, any pesky Sherman. :twisted:
Roberto went for a Sherman (6), an infantry squad (4), a sustained pre game barrage (3 points but 2 turns of bombardment instead of the usual one) an adjutant (1) and a roadblock (2).

Here the position of the Jump off points,

the third British JOP is hidden in the trees on the right.

To remember the barrage we placed some explosions near to the German JOPs.

I started with level 8 of morale, but Roberto with 9 although he suffered from a -1 to the die roll due to the soldiers bad opinion. Not a good start.
So the British started the game… with a double six!
Seeing the opportunity to capture a German JOP, Roberto runs among the houses,

and deploys a second squad while the first is put in overwatch.

I try to cover the JOP deploying a squad, but luckily the British failed to enter in the house (bloody terrain indeed!)

and I am able to spend a CoC die and move the endangered JOP safely well behind my lines.

In the meantime 2 PzGrenadier squads deploys on the other side of the village, with the goal to take the enemy on the flank.
One of those crossed the road with an awful dice roll and so isn't able to take cover behind the corner house.

Seeing a good opportunity, a Sheman roars on the road, opening fire with both gun and machine gun. OUCH!

OK, no problem, in the next phase I’ll surely be able to put the squad in cover.
Yes, but I should avoid to roll very low, as I did, and so the unfortunate men are again in the sights of the tank! And of the BREN that promptly deployed on the side of the road behind an hedge.
OUCH again!
To avoid problems from any Panther entering at the road, the 2" mortar fires a well placed round.

To control the situation I have already deployed the Senior Leaders to take command of the left and right flanks.

Now things go much better. The Germans advance on both flanks and, as expected, the concentrated fire of multiple MGs inflicts heavy losses against the British in the village. British morale starts to drop, but a lucky shot from a couple of riflemen in overwatch wounds the Scharfuehrer.
And my morale drops to 6…
On his right flank Roberto deploys a squad which was promptly put under covering fire,

while a second Pzgrenadier squad advances to finish the job.

The tank moves toward the new menace.

I’m not very worried, as I can retire quite easily.
In the meantime, unseen by the British, a couple of MG42 suddenly open up from behind the calvary, hitting a squad in the open! Heavy losses and the Corporal is wounded as well.
Their morale drop to 5!! :D

Sounds as things start to go in the right way for the Germans. ;)
On the right side I have 2 squads and a half against a couple of hard beaten British squads.

If only I would be able to bear all the MGs...
I have not yet deployed the flamethrower, as I’m waiting to spring a deadly ambush.
BUT… the best plan fails when in contact of the enemy, isn’t it?
An my own plan is far from better!
A single round, not smoke, fired by the 2”mortar inflicts one hit on the squad firing from the calvary.
The hit it’s a casualty… and the casualty is my Senior Leader! My morale dives to 4!! :shock:
Practically 2 hits on leaders = -4 morale points!! :(
Bloody sniping mortar!

Now the situation is critical, my command dice are down to 4, I have no time to waste and desperately decide to launch a melee attack against the survivors of the squad in the buildings that are nailed behind a wall by the continuous fire also from the first floor of the corner building.

As I own a whole CoC die, useful for an ambush, before the attack I really want to give them a fiery squirt but, due to the mazy lines of fire between the buildings, I am unable to place it! Anyway, two PzGrenadier squads attacks and destroy the British, suffering heavy losses.

Both our morale drop to zero, and both the forces retire.
A draw. :cry:
Always better than a defeat! :D

Final considerations:
Actually I suppose that I didn't anything wrong. The plan was running well, I had advantage of men and firepower on both flanks, but, due to the terrain, I wasn't able to exploit it.
I also gained from some double phases, as Roberto did, and my to hit dice rolls were really above the average. Roberto played well, as usual as we started to play 40 years ago!!, and what really decided the battle was a couple of lucky (or unlucky?) die rolls. ;)

Losses:
Germans: 4 KIA and 2 MIA, so light losses, without possibility to be replaced. Luckily in the next battle I can use a fresh platoon but my Support point remains at 16. The HQ was not very impressed indeed (-1), but the men were VERY worried by the high losses (-4! Morale roll -1). The Platoon Leader remains quite confident, and his attitude stays “Guarded”.

The British are able to field a new platoon each battle, so they don’t have to record losses, but next time their support is reduced from 16 to 14 points.. Their HQ is worried (-1) but the men are REALLY worried (-7!!). The Platoon Leader was summoned by the Company commander for an "interview without coffee", his attitude drops to "Sad", his morale roll suffers -2 and his command radius is reduced from 9" to 6".

Hope you liked it!
Marco
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Captain Darling

Re: Battle report The Scottish Corridor Campaign – Game 3

Post by Captain Darling » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:02 pm

Great looking game. These type of scenarios show a game doesn't have to be huge to be really good...

I like your markers i.e. artillery explosions.
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... ot.com.au/
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com