Battle report The Scottish Corridor Campaign – Game 2

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

remgain

Post by remgain »

Hi!
Here the battle report of the second game in the COC campaign “The Scottish Corridor”.

Here the first battle report:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3614

As you probably remember, also because you have to remember one battle only, in the first game the Germans were on the way to win… but in the end they lose!
So the campaign initiative switchs to British hands, and Roberto decides to wait and strenghten his defenses.
And the initiative go back to me, of course I attack again, I have to!
But my support level decrease from 16 to 14, so I choose a Pz4F, a Pzgrenadier squad, another Senior Leader and an adjutant.
Roberto’s points decrease from 6 to 5, and he went for 3 team sized trenches and a second PIAT team.
He deploys a minefield as well due to the increased defences (marked only by the corners).
As you can see the position of the JOPs is very similar to the first time.
We both start with level 8 of morale.
In my first roll I threw 6, 6, 6 ending the turn and gaining the following phase.
There was no preliminary bombardment, so I deploy immediately 2 squads and a Senior Leader to ease the possibility to activate them.
The first squad in overwatch and the second covering the farm.
He deploys a single Senior Leader… hidden in the farm.
Mmmhh… what’s 0n his mind?
In the following phase the Pz4 deploys and slowly aims its 75mm at the farm in overwatch.
The farm was under covering fire!
A squad of brave Pzgrenadieren crosses the hedge and starts its run to the goal.
The British starts to deploy inside the farm.
The Pz4 fires and the British Junior Leader is wounded! Something already seen in the first game, isn’t it?
Obviously the advancing Pzgrenadier are under fire from the farm and, although in tactical stance, start to suffer some casualties.
A third PZGrenadier squad deploys to cover its comrades.
To increase their firepower, another British squad deploys behind the hedge on the side of the farm.
The 2”mortar fires some precise smoke rounds, closing the Panzer view.
And the concentrated fire puts the advancing squad in a very miserable situation.
Things went from bad to worse, when Roberto spend a CoC die, ending the turn, and the Pzgrenadiers, with their leader, rout!
My morale drop to 5, and I had the unpleasant sensation of seeing something already happened ...
But I decide to throw all my reserves in play and, due also to some double 6s that allows me to play two phases consecutively, the farm was under a hail of bullets. The squad in light cover was an easy target indeed!
Unfortunately there is nothing more to add to this report, as Roberto has to commit his last squad, as their comrades were cut to pieces by the continuous fire of 4 MGs and the tank.
The farm proves to be a devilish bloodthirsty beast, swallowing men after men.
British morale plummet to 0 and they are forced to withdraw!

Final considerations:
I did what I should have done in the first game.
Concentrating my firepower at the only open field of the table was the winning card
I really don't know what alternatives had Roberto. Maybe stay behind the farm, waiting for my infantry to appear? Don't know...
Roberto says "I foolishly accepted the firefight against such a powerful opponent. And, I poorly choose my support: in fact having already blocked the road with the minefield, what is the use of another PIAT?"

Losses:
Germans: NOBODY!! The second platoon was ready to be deployed again at full strenght!
The HQ was positively impressed (from -1 to 0), and also the men were a little more confident in their leader (from -5 to -2). The Platoon Leader changes to “Guarded”.
The British are allowed to field a new platoon each battle, so they don’t have to record losses.
Their HQ is disappointed (from +1 to 0) but the men are really worried! (from 0 to -3). The Platoon Leader now is back to “Content”.

Hope you liked it!
Marco

Here a small teaser of next game... a very different terrain...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw