Battle report The Scottish Corridor Campaign – Game 1

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Necrosauron

Re: Battle report The Scottish Corridor Campaign – Game 1

Post by Necrosauron »

We've just completed the campaign. Though the British player has in effect an almost inexhaustible supply of men it can count against him as my opponent found to his cost. He kicked off the campaign throwing his men into combat in an effort to cause maximum casualties to my core German platoons but ended up losing so many men that it affected his overall moral & OC opinion - especially as he rolled badly (read multiple rolls of 6) on the after action checks. 5 games in and he had to replace his Platoon CO as the other had "died in mysterious circumstances'. It also negatively affected his support points which hampered his defence capability. We've been posting our after action reports on our Instagram account - griffin.gaming - we're up to reporting on game 5 on there.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Links?

Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Wow, nice site - never knew it existed.

https://www.insgy.com/user/griffin.gaming/3499174297

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron »

@Hetz:

Thanks for providing the link - I didn't think of that. My son & I started the account about 6 months ago as an easier way of doing battle reports - i.e. just take photos in game with the mobile phone & upload directly to Instagram later. It's also forced us to improve our record keeping of each game which helps with post game analysis etc. With GW & BA dominating table top games down this part of the world (NSW, Australia) opponents are severely limited so I guess I'm fortunate that my son has such a keen interest.

I'm also trying to mix it up with more than just battle reports - a book or two, some modelling (not tips - I wouldn't be that presumptuous - just sharing the way I paint our models), and maybe a few other games now and again(we do play a lot of old AH board games & some newer GMT ones).

We're planning to do the Martlet mini campaign next & the von Luck one after that - I'm currently painting up the required forces etc. With my son off Uni & me on leave at present its pretty easy to post every day - I can only hope I remain as consistent once I go back to the grindstone.

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Is there one commander for the Germans on both flanks, or are they tracked separately?
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron »

@ Tom Ballou - Good question and one I did ask at one stage on the forum but didn't get a definitive answer on as far as I remember.

If one were to apply the tracking strictly as per ATSE campaign manual to each kampfgruppe & its respective platoons in isolation then each kampfgruppe wouldn't really benefit from any success. For example, a particular kampfgruppe winning 3 games - i.e. all 3 maps on their side, wouldn't really experience much benefit because they have not completed enough games to score high enough on the tables i.e. to get good positive moral or supply factors. Perhaps that was the game designer's intention - i.e. to reflect the historical restrictions on supply etc the German's faced in Normandy but this was never referred to in the SC campaign play book.

In any event, my opponent & I struck a compromise which worked pretty well - men's opinion was tracked against the platoon CO (regardless of whether it was the first or second platoon for that particular kampfgruppe) & OC's opinion was tracked for the attack as a whole - i.e. so that both kampfgruppe either benefited or lost out due to the other's success or failure and so on.
Hope this helps.

Larry R

Post by Larry R »

Great report, thanks for sharing.

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

@Necrosauron

Excellent report.

Coincidentally, I am also in NSW (Sutherland Shire) & am slowly getting both American & German late war forces together in order for my son & I to establish our own little CoC oasis in a veritable desert of GW & BA (although my just having had a quintuple by-pass with a whole lot of subsequent complications has slowed down our process somewhat of late).

Keep up the good work. Quite inspiring.

:ugeek:

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron »

@oozeboss

Thanks. Start back to work on Monday so modelling & gaming will have to be secondary to work commitments again. No different for most others I'm sure. Hope all goes well with your recovery.