Activating tanks and tank destroyers on a 1 or 2?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

siggian

Activating tanks and tank destroyers on a 1 or 2?

Post by siggian »

I know you can activate the junior leader of a tank on a 3. You can also activate one position on a leaderless tank on a 1.

I have been assuming that you could treat the tank like a section consisting of three or so teams (1 gunner and loader, 2 driver, 3 hull MG/radio dude). If so, you could also activate the tank on a 2 or an individual crewman on a 1. Is this how others have been interpreting it or have you been requiring a 3 to activate the tank (via activating its junior leader)?

EvilGinger

Re: Activating tanks and tank destroyers on a 1 or 2?

Post by EvilGinger »

I would be inclined not to do so as I dont feel doing so models how tanks work & quite how dependant they are on their commander as all other positions are either blind or have very limited arks of vision & every on in a tank is effectively deaf due to the noise their own vehicle makes especially when moving.

The use of one's for leaderless tanks largely reflects a capacity to get the hell out of trouble & a tank with a dead commander is in trouble.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

I looked at this when thinking about an armor vs armor game and, indeed, it looks like you can only activate vehicles on a 3 unless it is a transport vehicle carrying a squad or team.

In the example YouTube videos, Rich is often combining a 1 and a 2 in order to move and fire with his vehicle.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

indeed I tend to forget you can add dice up for activation, but not devide them down that's probably the best thing to do with low numbers in a game with a lot of armour involved.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Yeah, just on the 3.

There is some fins game balance in here. The idea is specifically to limit AFVs so that they are not killing machines, but do suffer some disadvantages when compared to infantry.

You can activate individual positions in an AFV on a 1 when the leader commanding that vehicle has been killed. But remember that the vehicle is reduced to a morale of 1 and cannot rally, so this is last ditch stuff.

Rich