Medical Orderly as Spotter

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Viso

Medical Orderly as Spotter

Post by Viso »

Can a medical orderly act as a spotter (provide LOS) for another unit?

This has some elements in common with the debate regarding whether snipers can act as spotters. See for example, this post.

At first blush, it seems a bit unhistorical. On the other hand, it presents a highly vulnerable target to the enemy; unlike a sniper which is much harder to spot. Thoughts?

Thanks

Truscott Trotter

Re: Medical Orderly as Spotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Do you mean for a light mortar?

Viso

Post by Viso »

Yes, I was thinking of light mortars and rifle grenades and anything else that is permitted to fire indirectly (apart from offboard artillery).

Gun-Pit Paul

Post by Gun-Pit Paul »

I would say a big fat NO!
They were not trained for that.
Their job was to keep someone alive, so that the surgeons could sew them back together again.

Paul (Ex Royal Artillery)

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

there are two cases

- light on-table light mortars and rifle grenades who need their targets to be seen by friendly units - a medic is a friendly unit too, training or not, so I could argue that in cases of energency, when he can't get to the officer he wants to mend, he would contribute to eliminate the threat

- off-table mortars or any artillery that needs special trained and kitted observers (who pay the support points)- seriously?

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

I would certainly agree with G-PP. This is a cheesy use of a medic.

However, if folk want to do it I would allow them. I would also allow the other side to freely target the medic - and to spot he's got to be in a position from which he can be seen as well as see. As he is a support element his loss (and he's only one figure so easy to kill or break) then that's going to hurt on the "bad things happen" moral chart.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Nick B wrote:I would certainly agree with G-PP. This is a cheesy use of a medic.
Me too.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Seret wrote:
Nick B wrote:I would certainly agree with G-PP. This is a cheesy use of a medic.
Me too.
I agree too.
If you want to use the medic as a combatant, which s what this means, your opponent should be able to avoid the morale penalty for killing him.

John

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

I was looking at what the rules say on this and found something rather interesting.
"Light mortars do not require a line of sight to see a target in order to fire at it, but any target they choose must be in line of sight of a friendly Unit." p.43

That begs the question, is a medic a Unit? So I look for a definition of a Unit and find the following under Ground Rules.
"To that end, there are two sorts of men in Chain of Command: Leaders and ordinary men. The former are individuals whose role is to lead so that others may follow. The latter operate in Units, a term we use to cover Sections, Squads or Teams based on real military structures." p.6
Looks like a medic is indeed a Unit (they're certainly not Leaders) and light mortars can use them for line of sight.

But Leaders technically aren't Units and so can't be used for this purpose.

Rules as written, but certainly not the way that I've ever played things. I think Richard might get his toffee hammer out if someone tried this on on him.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

If only he had added the words "in their own platoon" after the word unit.
Then we would not have these discussions about whether medics, snipers, PIAT's HMG's or tanks count
...but he didn't so we have to assume that for whatever reason this was intended so I am prepared to go along with RAW, in practice I have found it makes little difference as there is usually a combat trooper from the core platoon in LOS of the LM's target