Stalingrad @ CanCon

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

IanW

Stalingrad @ CanCon

Post by IanW »

Note : This report may contain an element of bias.

The glorious workers and peasants army are continuing to hold off the fascist beast in Stalingrad, making the invader pay blood for every step they take deeper into the Motherland.

The Commissar's House and Chemical Factory are still in Soviet hands, with continued counter-attacks limiting the depth of German penetrations towards the Volga.

The southern sector saw desperate German forces call in heavy artillery on their own positions in defense (1), after heroic efforts by the workers and peasants had destroyed the German armor support in that sector and beaten off the desperate infantry attacks that attempted to widen their salient. A particular 45mm anti-tank gun has been recommended for their particular efforts, single-handedly destroying two German self-propelled guns with three shots in under a minute (2).

The western sector has seen Soviet forces hold on grimly, following staged withdrawls from forward positions to prepare counter-attacks. Losses in German armor have been especially heavy.

It is expected that the final German offensive will continue tomorrow, with the 6th Army scraping together it's last reserves before it's inevitable defeat.

(1) More accurate observers may comment that the artillery fire was in front of their position.

(2) 12 on to-hit for hitting a weak spot, followed by an 11 and 5 hits on the armor test in a double-move. The positions was a well-set up tank trap, with two guns belonging to two players firing at ninety degrees, forcing the armor to pick a side to expose.

Seriously, it's been a great game, with 20 players over four very large boards. Losses have been heavy, with the Germans grinding forward slowly on the two "forward" boards, but being unable to substantially enlarge their held area from their "forward" breakthroughs on the "rear" boards, and Soviet positions still being held strongly on the two forward boards.

Lots of players learning lessons about not leaving penny packets of forces on table to get shot at, and not committing unsupported armor to attacks. Oh, and the absolute mayhem that is flamethrowers in urban combat.

The Germans seem to be content to maul Soviet infantry forces but are not advancing very fast. This has resulted in replacements being fed into essentially the same positions.

Some of the more green Soviet commanders are getting their forces chewed up by the heavy German machinegun fire, and thereby not having the reserves to force advancing troops into close combat.

Truscott Trotter

Re: Stalingrad @ CanCon

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Urrah comrade.
Sounds quite historically realistic so far.

IanW

Post by IanW »

Thats a thought thats crossed several peoples minds.

There is about a 6x4 table per pair of players, which means we are dealing with a lot of table space. It's got that wonderful big convention game thing of 'I think things are going badly in the center, but Im too worried about those tanks/this assault/how I gank that flamethrower team' to really find out.

Being pathetically grateful for a regular rifle squad as a reserved released from HQ is nice too.

There will be photos later. You know how I mentioned roughly ten 6x4 tables ? Its all ruined Stalingrad. All of it.

Truscott Trotter

I is sooooo jealous. I did get to play Stalingrad at Cancon one year using FOW but I think CoC would be more suitable.

topi

Post by topi »

Sounds marvellous, good job!

Seret

Post by Seret »

Very impressive stuff, will keep an eye out for those photos.

Must have been a fair job keeping all that action coordinated. How much info did players have about developments on other tables as they went along?

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

This was the first Oz Day long weekend in yonks that I haven't been at CANCON to play or just cruise & peruse, so I am now totally kicking myself for missing such a fantabulous spektarkle (as the Leningrad Cowboys would have put it).

My other regret is that I actually used a Soviet Razvedchiki platoon themed on Stalingrad when I first started playing a certain other WWII game, but they've long been sold off as my focus has moved earlier and earlier into the war (I think of my gaming as The 1940 Floor Show these days). I appear doomed to merely spectating such amazing events as this in future (unless a place can be found for my Home Guard, Dutch or Norwegians - lol), but I do hope that there'll be many many more to come.

:ugeek:

Congrats to all concerned!

Truscott Trotter

Well they could do the invasion of Norway, Belgium, Netherlands....but CANCON is a three day event so what would they do for the other two days? :roll: :lol:

PS Was your Razvedchikiis 15 or 28mm?

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

They were 28mm. I converted up the cam suits from green stuff.

My last game of WWII was my providing their new owner with his first ever win using them (and I can assure you that I wasn't deliberately gracious).

:lol: