Soviet Machine Gun Platoon

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

batesmotel34

Re: Soviet Machine Gum Platoon

Post by batesmotel34 »

Another alternative could be to treat the MG platoon as a SL (or senior JL) with 4 MG teams directly under command with no intermediate sections. That would eliminate the extra cost and possibly too high leader percentage. Where Zaloga gives organization detàil below platoon in THE RED ARMY HANDBOOK, he does seem to list sections/squads where these existed and here they are specifically listed as 4 teàms.

Chris

Seret

Post by Seret »

Arlequín wrote:I imagine they were positioned to be mutually supporting and the DPs provided security for the 'blind sides' of each pair of positions. A single JL for each section position seems quite adequate to me.
Exactly my thoughts. This is especially the case where you've upgraded your Maxim positions to bunkers and therefore restricted their arcs, you'll need to use the DP to cover the flanks and rear.

The choice of how many leaders to include was difficult. With a JL per gun the force rating was creeping too high to give them enough support points for things like obstacles (which they really should have), with no JLs the force would be too hard to command. They should have a high ratio of NCOs to squaddies, but you've got to find a balance that works as a game.

The command post was included to ease C&C problems, too. It allows a weapon position to stay in some contact with the SL when beyond 9". That allows you to disperse your weapons according to the terrain instead of having to plonk everything within 9" of the officer, as he generally isn't going to go running around shouting at people. A totally defensive force should have the option of spreading out a bit.

jony663

Post by jony663 »

Can the admin for the group change the title from gum, to gun. Will make it easier to find latter.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

jony663 wrote:Can the admin for the group change the title from gum, to gun. Will make it easier to find latter.
Try editing the first post, see if you can change it there.

jony663

Post by jony663 »

Thank you John, brilliant
John Thomas8 wrote:
jony663 wrote:Can the admin for the group change the title from gum, to gun. Will make it easier to find latter.
Try editing the first post, see if you can change it there.

John Thomas8

Re: Soviet Machine Gun Platoon

Post by John Thomas8 »

Glad I was able to help.

PatG

Post by PatG »

Too bad. With all those mgs the old version really chewed up the enemy.

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

Seret wrote:Excellent. I look forward to hearing of your attempts to stop a human wave armed only with gum.

but it is a machine gum! :lol:

I am following the thread with interest, as there were many others with MG units, for instance my special hobby, the french.

Lightbulb

Post by Lightbulb »

If the Platoon needs fortifications to work then I suggest giving them as part of the force.

They will effectively be 'half price' this way due to how the system works. This will allow them some more points to actually get some support.

Doesn't work if they are attacking but would such a force attack alone anyway?