CoC Order of Play: Confirming Game Setup

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Viso

CoC Order of Play: Confirming Game Setup

Post by Viso »

Perhaps not a huge deal, but there seems to be a bit of ambiguity in the rules regarding the order of setup. I've done my best to stitch together the bits on pages 11, 72, and 73 to gather it all together in one place. Here is my interpretation. References in brackets note the page number and paragraph in the rule book.

Step 1: Set up the map. Big CoC prescribes extra playing space for multiple infantry platoons.

Step 2: Select scenario (72:6)

Step 3: Make any necessary changes to the map for the scenario to work (73:3,4)

Step 4: Choose sides (72:7)

Step 5: Determine support levels (72:7-10). Each scenario has its own specifics.

Step 6: Attacker and defender make support selections (73:1)

Step 7: Set up patrol markers. Any free moves should be taken now. (11:6)

Step 8: Determine Force Morale levels (11). In Big CoC, the highest FM generally becomes the force commander

Step 9: Compare FM levels. Higher gets next patrol phase move (unless otherwise prescribed). Complete patrol phase. In Big CoC, higher average FML generally goes first. Add 1 extra patrol marker per extra infantry.

Step 10: Deploy jump off markers by alternating with first in patrol phase deploying first (again unless prescribed otherwise) and then in turns (73:8). See additional notes on placement on page 13. Lots of extra notes for Big CoC.

Step 11: Begin first phase of game, as prescribed.

Is this a correct understanding of the rules? The interesting thing about the way its all written is that it forces each side to make some decisions with incomplete knowledge - which is a good thing, I think. For example, having to make support selections before knowing where you JO points are, or taking free moves without knowing whether force morale levels will hand the initiative back to the defender. Perhaps these were part of the original intent? As always, CoC is a fascinating little game to play, even before the playing starts.
Thank you,
rim66

Re: CoC Order of Play: Confirming Game Setup

Post by rim66 »

Looks good to me.

Kind regards,

Richard/Monty Lardo
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Actually that isn't strictly right but it would probably work!

Unless it's a campaign game you will need to decide which side is the defender as part of or before step 4 since the defender generally picks the table edge he is defending. Unless agreed otherwise beforehand, I usually assume that the player with the higher Force Morale is the attacker so I would determine Force Morale as Step 3A not step 8.

You also need to know who the attacker before he can make any free moves.

If you follow the sequence in the scenarios in the rules, the determination and selection of Force Support occurs after the Patrol Phase is completed and JOPs placed along with any additional defences like minefields. So this would be after Step 10.
Richard has confirmed that this is deliberate so that the Platoon Leader knows what he faces before making his support choices. This lets you tailor your choices and not have to select in the dark, very useful for when you need to pick engineers say. Many players, myself included, often select their supports in advance but you don't need to do that.

John
sid

Post by sid »

Also that the field defences are set up before you decide what type of engineer you select eg mine or wire teams
Seret

Post by Seret »

sid wrote:Also that the field defences are set up before you decide what type of engineer you select eg mine or wire teams
That's not how we play it. The rule book does say you only deploy your field defences at the very last minute, right before the game starts. We just have both sides pick their supports (including defences) and if the attacker picks the wrong thing, tough.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

That does not fit with how p 82 reads at all
ENGINEER OR PIONEER SECTION
This option allows the player to hedge his bets
and select two Engineer Teams immediately
before the game begins.

IIRC this has been discussed before - but hey play it how you like
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

We have been playing:
1. Patrol Phase
2. JOP placement
3. Placement of Defenses
4. Selection of Supports ( there is a little ambiguity here, I agree with TT re engineers but in the section on selecting supports it just says after you have seen the table)
5. Throw for Force Morale

A simple outline of order of play would clarify this, but I do not see it in the book.

John
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

You do select the supports as per your order - but the composition of the actual engineer teams is done immediately before the game ie after you have seen the layout of the table inc defences
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

There is a bit of an inconsistency here.

If you pick the supports before the start of the Patrol Phase and you do not pick engineers, then the statements re engineer teams being picked after placement of defenses really is of little consequence.

I think that is why we have picked supports after the defenses have been placed (of course we write them down so the other player does not know what you have until they are deployed) although I have to say after 20 games +, I have yet to pick an engineer team or section.

I find it too bad that something simple like this is not laid out in a table in the book.

John
Seret

Post by Seret »

Truscott Trotter wrote:That does not fit with how p 82 reads at all
ENGINEER OR PIONEER SECTION
This option allows the player to hedge his bets
and select two Engineer Teams immediately
before the game begins.

IIRC this has been discussed before - but hey play it how you like
Yes, the engineer section does give you that flexibility, that's why it costs more in support points. But if you pick single teams and they're the wrong ones then bad luck.

It would be nice if the book put it all in one place though, I always find it a bit odd that the bit about rolling for morale is right at the start of the book when all the scenarios and lists are at the back.