Double Covering Fire

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Alan Charlesworth

Double Covering Fire

Post by Alan Charlesworth »

If a unit is subject to the heavier weight of suppression caused by two seperate units subjecting it to Covering Fire. Should it fire with a -2 modifier?

EvilGinger

Re: Double Covering Fire

Post by EvilGinger »

I tend to think that once you have got to an adiquate level to achive covering fire you are not going to get a better result by adding more to that one fire.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

EvilGinger wrote:I tend to think that once you have got to an adiquate level to achive covering fire you are not going to get a better result by adding more to that one fire.

:evil: Ginger

Tend to agree with this

evillsvain

Post by evillsvain »

Still, you could argue that if, say, 3 teams are pouring fire into a window (so giving -3 for the enemy to shoot back) it would reflect pretty accurately the fact that no sane trooper in that situation would peep out from the window. Change of position might be a better idea.

Cheers,

Wulf

Post by Wulf »

You could also say that two teams providing crossfire would have more effect than a single team from a single direction.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Would a leader, regardless of level, waste the resources of so many teams?

evillsvain

Post by evillsvain »

Jeremy wrote:Would a leader, regardless of level, waste the resources of so many teams?
That depends - if there would be a MG in a position or a Panzerschrek team trying to ambush a nearby tank then yes. And sometimes soldiers just blaze away even though trained not to. But you're right in that it would be hard to present it so that it wouldn't be abused. One should probably then have ammunition expenditure tracking system etc. and the games would start to bog down.
I'm really not in the favor for Covering Fire to give -1 or multiple minuses, just thinking out "loud".

Cheers,

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

I agree it should be one -1 only. Otherwise you start getting into a Junior NCO activating 2 teams from the same section separately for his 2 activations,giving -2 where as those Nationalities, such as the Russians, would only be able to active the section as a whole, even though the fire put down is roughly equal.

That then leads potentially to long discussions about "how much fire power = one -1 etc" and for me that is getting too granular.

Cheers

Nick

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

Multiple Covering Fire is not overpowered. The teams providing the covering fire do not actually do any damage. Consider how much actual shock/kills those three teams could have placed. Your opponent simply doesn't activate the team being covered and can use those activations somewhere else, so he doesn't really lose anything except the opportunity for fire a unit whereas you lost the opportunity to fire multiple teams.

There might be a situation where it makes sense but I don't see it being an effective game-winning or game-breaking tactic.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Dunno about two rifle teams making that much difference in covering fire but a belt fed MG with ROF 800-1200 rpm made a hell of a difference in Real Life (TM)