Father and Son, beginning of a new hobby

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

topi

Re: Father and Son, beginning of a new hobby

Post by topi »

I think at least Hobby Bunker ( http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/the ... ompany/mfg ) sells them in US. With those boxes, you should be able to play multi-platoon games later on.

PatG

Post by PatG »

Welcome! Gaming is a great way to spend time with your son - and it encourages reading too.

Native

Post by Native »

Hey fellow forum pals. Thanks again for the replies. Been looking at the following figs.
*Plastic Soilder Company
*Wargames Factory
*Forged in Battle

Any of you have reviews or pictures of them painted up? Also, both my son and I started reading books on the war. I chose The Longest Winter and Voices of the Pacific. My son, Band of Brothers. Any book suggestions that have to do with Platoons during the war?

jdg

Post by jdg »

The first three that come to mind for G.I.s are;
"Company Commander" By Charles MacDonald
"The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo" By Glover S. Johns jr.
"If you Survive" By George Wilson"

Good reads for fighting in Normandy;
"Beyond the Beachhead" By Joseph Balkoski fist of a series that take the 29th Infantry Division to the end of the war.

For a over all take on G.I.s in combat;
"Closing with the Enemy: How GIs fought the War in Europe, 1944-1945" By Michael D. Doubler

topi

Post by topi »

Hi,

Are you looking at 1/72 (== 20mm) or 15mm figures? PSC and WF are plastic, both are nice but WF are maybe a bit more fragile. FiB are very good quality, too, and several friends swear by them. Of those, I prefer PSC, just because plastic figures have a bit more realistic proportions. Peter Pig also has a very nice selection - PP miniatures are maybe a bit simpler, but they paint up nicely.

Some good platoon level accounts: (Also one by Speirs from BoB)
http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Learned-C ... B00JJ8VDX2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F57VXHW/

Native

Post by Native »

Hey topi, we are looking at 15mm. I like wargame factory because of the different positions. By fragile, do you mean break easy? Guess I shouldn't sweat it so much and just order so so boy and I can get going on painting and such.

topi

Post by topi »

Hi,
I move my miniatures a lot in boxes filled with foam sheets. WF stuff is very nice, but at least the box of US troops I have have lost few more rifles and ankles that PCS/FoW plastic stuff - so I'd assume they use bit different kind of material. But this is not really a big problem, you just need to be a bit more careful. If you really get bitten by the CoC bug, you will be ordering so much extra stuff in the coming month, that the first boxes do not really matter :) (Case in point: painted a depleted platoon of german pz grens during summer. Now I notice I can comfortably play a company sized game with those..) So just get playing and enjoy!

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith »

For a German perspective, I liked Normandiefront a lot. A lot of diary stories, etc. about the 352nd division and their defense during the first bit of Normandy campaign.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I'd second topi's recommendation for Peter Pig if you are interested in 15mm metal figures.
Don't know Wargames Foundry so can't comment, but the equivalent PSC boxes in 15mm to those I recommended for 20mm would give you plenty of figures to move on to company level games such as 'I Ain't Been Shot Mum' if you felt so inclined later.

For books I always recommend "Battle" by Kenneth Macksey as an excellent primer on low level tactics when running an infantry battle in 1944. Not platoon level and focussed primarily on a British attack with American support, it does however give you a real sense of the context in which a platoon would normally be operating, the difficulties of coordinating supports and the vital importance of effective leadership to keep an attack moving.

John

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

Brookhusrt Hobbies in California carries Peter Pig figures. Excellent service.http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/Produc ... ETER%20PIG