Father and Son, beginning of a new hobby

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Native

Father and Son, beginning of a new hobby

Post by Native »

Been looking at the ruleset and we like what we've read so far on the forums and various reviews. We are new to miniature war gaming and would like to game from Normandy to the fall of Germany. We noticed there are additional books or pdfs. If we get the main book, what other additions do we need or would be recommended?

We've been looking at various miniatures but are confused to what we would need. 15mm or 20mm is what we would like to game with. Any help would be appreciated on what we should order for Germans vs americans.

Thanks
Looking forward to this new adventure with my son.

Jon and Christian

topi

Re: Father and Son, beginning of a new hobby

Post by topi »

Hi,
Welcome onboard! For the period specified, you should be ok with main rules to start with, they contain all the necessary lists and scenarios. (Big CoC, the Sharp End campaign book and the campaigns will become useful a while later.) Pick a basic platoon for both (regular vs regular will probably give you a most balanced game to beging with) and buy some basic support option: bazooka/panzerschrek team, medium machine gun, a light tank and a medium tank and one extra infantry squad for both sides go a long way and do not cost that much in 15mm. Basically, pick something that looks interesting. And start with a simple patrol scenario without tanks to familiarize yourself with the rules.

For example Flames of War or Plastic Soldier Company plastic infantry boxes are IMO good value for money and give you lots of things to paint.

Enjoy :)

Seret

Post by Seret »

Where are you in the world? It might be worth seeing if anybody is in your area and can help you get started.

Native

Post by Native »

We are in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chain of Command and to the Forum. Don't be afraid to ask for help, there's no such thing as a stupid question just the occasional silly answer. :)

As topi says, given your interest you can easily get by with the core rule book and nothing else, but over time I think you will find that it adds a lot of interest to your gaming to be able to link games in a simple campaign. The 'At the Sharp End' supplement provides an easy to follow mechanism to do just that with minimal bookkeeping. You don't even need a map.

If you prefer something already prepared then take a look at the Pint Sized Campaigns - ' 29th Lets Go' should suit your interests. There are also lots of other scenarios or campaign ideas in the various TFL Summer and Christmas Specials. Just remember if you don't have the figures for a specific scenario or campaign you can always resort to the old wargamers trick of transposing the scenario to a theatre you do have figures for and playing with what you have.

As for figures, I would recommend 20mm (1:72) scale as a good combination of cost, availability of figures and vehicles and produces an interesting game on an average size tabletop with plenty of room for manoeuvre. I personally find 15mm too small for skirmish games though many folk like it. I often play with 28mm which are seductively pretty, expensive and probably take up too much room on the table if I'm honest.

As to suppliers, again I would go with topi and recommend the Plastic Soldier Company. His advice on what to buy is spot on.

Enjoy your gaming.

John

Matt1066

Post by Matt1066 »

Welcome! :)

Yes, basically what Topi said. Although I would re-iterate the point about regular vs regular forces (as opposed to collecting elites like paratroops). To begin with they'll give you a more balanced and playable game. When you're more familiar with the rules you'll doubtless start looking at more exotic troop types.

Happy gaming!

Matt
Thanks, Matt
The Wargames Table

topi

Post by topi »

Hi,

Yes, I'd say leave elites and big cats for later games. Same might go for off board arty, too, as it can lead to very unbalanced games when you are still learning.

And do tell us how it goes ;)

Native

Post by Native »

Much thanks for the replies. Looking at Plastic Soilder Company what would I order for this balanced forces. I just found the ruleset here locally, big thumbs to Gajo Games for carrying it. I'll pick it up here in a couple days. I'd like to make a good sized purchase with PSC and save on shipping. So I'm not apposed on getting figures, tanks or arty for future games as my son and I learn. Im so gitty, can't wait to duke it out with my boy.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Well Jon, if you are looking at The Plastic Soldier Company you will find that a box of their infantry and one of heavy weapons will generally give you all the infantry options you are ever going to need in the main and more. Add a couple of tanks/Stugs to that and an Anti-Tank gun and you would cover most options.

So for the Germans in 1/72 scale my shopping list would be:
1 box of Late War German Infantry 1943-45;
1 box of Late War German Heavy Weapons;
1 box of Stug III G Assault Guns (you'll get 3 and probably only ever play with 1 or 2); and
consider buying an anti-tank gun like the Pak 36 or Pak 38 and possibly a 75mm infantry gun.
If you really must have a tank rather than the wonderfully characterful Stug then go for a Panzer IV.

For the Americans I'd buy:
I box of US Infantry 1944-45;
1box of US Infantry Heavy Weapons 1944-45 (it's a little light on bazookas but very good otherwise);
I box of the ubiquitous Mk IV Sherman (personally I don't worry about fielding a 76mm tank as a 75mm but I'm a heretic when it comes to AFVs as I rarely use them).

These would give you some decent core forces with lots of support options.which you could build on later as you learn the rules.

Hope this helps,

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Oh, should have said, if you contact PSC they may have a U.S. agent you could order from and save on shipping/customs charges.

John