Coordination AFV and Infantry movement

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Trailape

Coordination AFV and Infantry movement

Post by Trailape »

OK
So I want to move a tank down a road and I want to have an Infantry section walk behind the tank down said road.
I'm assuming the best way is to:
Order tank to advance using 1 D6 and the Infantry 'Normal' 2 D6 ordering them to remain behind the tank?
Thoughts?
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Truscott Trotter

Re: Coordination AFV and Infantry movement

Post by Truscott Trotter »

My first thought is unless it's boccage lane its not a good idea to be walking behind the tank.:)

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

I'm not after tactical advice,... just the best way to make it happen 'technically' within the rules.
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Yes that approach would work. You just have to specify that you want the infantry to move no further than the rear of the tank before you roll the dice for their movement. Same as if you wanted to stop them at a specified terrain feature or in line with another unit.

John

Truscott Trotter

From the FAQ
Q: When you roll for movement, is that the maximum that may be moved, or is it the distance which
MUST be moved?
A: In broad terms it is both. Yes, it is the maximum you can move, but it will also normally be how far
you must move. The exception to that would be if you wanted to move to a specific recognisable point,
such as a hedge or the crest of the hill. In those situations you can stop at that point. But if you are
moving across open ground then that is how far you must go.

\Now if you want to define the back of a moving tanks as a specific recognisable point,
such as a hedge or the crest of the hill.
then fair enough
but it is unlikely to offer any cover and if you are within 6" of it when the tank blows up......
still I have seen film of troops doing this - not under fire though

Seret

Post by Seret »

Truscott Trotter wrote:My first thought is unless it's boccage lane its not a good idea to be walking behind the tank.:)
It was done a lot in real life, for various reasons.

The downsides under the CoC rules are the same as those in real life. Yes, it's good cover from small arms, but you're standing next to something that attracts a lot of heavy weapons fire and is liable to do things like reverse without warning.

Most vehicles would be moving with at least one extra inch per d6, so the idea of moving the vehicle 1d6 and the infantry 2d6 makes sense. Personally I'd allow a player to use both activation dice simultaneously if they declared their intention. Otherwise you could get some odd situations with interrupts.

Truscott Trotter

Which is exactly what German infantry did to Soviet unfantry following tanks all the time.

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

I've served for 33 years in the Army.
In that time I've spent much of that instructing Australian as well as Brit Army and USMC
Having served in the Middle East and Afghanistan I can assure you moving up behind a tank is done quite often,...
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Truscott Trotter

Personally I'd allow a player to use both activation dice simultaneously if they declared their intention. Otherwise you could get some odd situations with interrupts.

Was the bit I objected to.
That is a house rule that is quite dramatic in its effect IMHO
Not saying infantry did not walk behind tanks in combat and in training.
My thoughts are that it does not seem to allow that in the rules - which does not mean you cannot do it you can do whatever you think is fair in Lardie land
Secondly I think in the game as in real life it is not that effective for various reasons.
just the best way to make it happen 'technically' within the rules.
So what do you mean by 'technically'?
It says to me you know that it is not in the rules as written
I understood that from your post - hence my effort to divert you from the house rules Vs RAW arguments
Carry on chaps

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

Trailape wrote: Having served in the Middle East and Afghanistan I can assure you moving up behind a tank is done quite often,...
all due respect to your experience, but I am not certain that asymmetrical warfare is a good comparison for WW2 tactics... ;)