Support teams in close combat , rule clarification required?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Fuzzy

Support teams in close combat , rule clarification required?

Post by Fuzzy »

Okay this is a weird one: I have checked the rule book and checked the forum but can't find any reference on how to handle support teams in close combat. I do know engineer teams surrender in close combat but what about snipers,mortars, gun crews etc. ??

We played a game yesterday and here was the climax of the battle. My British infantry section charged the remnants of an Italian defensive position. The defenders were the gun crew of an AT gun, a light mortar team and the two junior leaders (one for gun crew and one for original platoon armed with SMG) and the senior officer.

They were charged by a section consisting of a bren team, junior leader with SMG and five riflemen.

We couldn't find anything about the support crews so we treated them like riflemen and gave them one die each.

In the ensuing fight the British were defeated but the casualties on both sides eliminated the two Italian support crews. Which dropped their force morale enough for the British to claim victory.

On reviewing this action I think the support crews would not be as effective in close combat, maybe halving the dice total for them so they would get only 2 dice (rounding down).

Does anyone else have a suggestion or have I just missed the section of the rules that covers this?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Support teams in close combat , rule clarification requi

Post by Truscott Trotter »

No I think you did it correctly
Without the two leaders the gun crew might have routed due to the 4 to 1 rule
Italian and Brit gun crews in the Desert fought with sidearms and the Italians were renowned for defending their guns to the last

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi fuzzy,
Just replied to your question on Facebook, nice AAR by the way.
As TT says, you played this correctly. There are no special rules for weapons teams in close combat, they defend themselves with their personal weapons like any other team.
John

Seret

Post by Seret »

Fuzzy wrote: I think the support crews would not be as effective in close combat
Try walking into a bar full of gunners on a Friday night and saying that.