Introducing new players

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Teufelhunden

Introducing new players

Post by Teufelhunden »

I've found a couple of threads dealing with what scenario to try, the size of the forces, and limiting supports. All very helpful.

What rules do you go over before starting play with new players? For instance, the Patrol phase, terrain effects, close and effective ranges, Leaders, Shock, etc.

Actual firing procedure would probably wait until there was some. Chain of Command die explained after one was accumulated. Command dice go over the as they are rolled...

Bottom line is don't want to spend a half hour explaining how things work, when a lot of it isn't going to click until they play anyway...so, what rules do you feel need to be introduced before the start of play?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Introducing new players

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I normally start with Patrol phase and the Command dice ie what you spend the points on
I leave the rest till you need it in a game.

topi

Post by topi »

Patrol phase first, let them play through it a couple of times. And then introduce things as they come up. During first phases, I try to give players very concrete examples of how they can activate stuff (How to combine dice and use leaders to get desired activations.) It seems that even experienced folks stumble with force organizations, so having a diagram explaining that is very useful. (Who can command whom, which units are individual teams, which are teams within a section etc.)

Seret

Post by Seret »

1. Quick explanation of how everything starts in reserve and gets committed during the game, as this is different from pretty much every other wargame. Talk about jump off points, which leads to...
  2. Patrol phase, then play the patrol phase. Allow them to restart if they muff it up or don't understand something, it's important they've got a viable position to play from.
  3. Command dice.
  4. I'd start playing at this point, then after the first dice are rolled:
  5. What you can do as an activation (three move speeds/tactical/overwatch, etc)
As you say, shooting and shock effects will become pretty apparent soon enough.

As for game setup: stick to pure infantry and very limited supports. Patrol scenario is popular, but make sure you put enough terrain down to cut off long lines of sight and make people manoeuvre. If you go for an attack/defend type scenario put the newbies on defence and make sure they understand they don't have to put everything on in phase 1!
Last edited by Seret on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I think Seret's list is an excellent way to introduce the game.
I also like topi's suggestion for a force diagram. I've been surprised by just how many experienced wargamers have struggled with the team and section approach initially. Not something they've had to think about before.
John

Seret

Post by Seret »

Archdukek wrote:I've been surprised by just how many experienced wargamers have struggled with the team and section approach initially.
Good point. Some forces are a bit more newbie-friendly than others, too. Played a game last night with a relatively new guy, and he found the British Paras complicated. It's not just teams & sections, but they've two different kinds of sections, indirect fire weapons, snipers embedded in their sections, etc.

Not that it handicapped him too much though, he booted my panzer recce boys off the table with their tail between their legs!

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith »

This is good! I will be introducing the game to a group of Bolt Action players next month and have started preparing the scenario, terrain, going over the rules again, etc.

I want to make a great first impression. :)

We'll have multiple players on each side, but I want to keep it small. I've come up with an idea of having players "control" their own sections/teams, etc. when it comes to moving/firing, but rotate the responsibility for the command dice from player to player so everyone gets a chance to experience it all while still having smaller forces on the table. Hoping that helps to keep everyone engaged.

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

This method has worked well for us with up to 3 players per side using the standard (not "Big") CoC rules.

Dick Bryant
No scenario survives first contact with a wargamer.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Neal,
I typically play first games with two players a side, one acting as the platoon Lieutenant and the other as platoon Sergeant. I also assume both sides have an adjutant so that both SLs can get on the table from early on and often give them an extra section so that they have 2 infantry sections each to control. Works well in my experience.
John

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith »

Yeah, it's always hard to say how many folks will be showing up to a game... :)